- Released: August 1, 2006
- Label: Varese Sarabande
- 1.Fall In Philadelphia
- 2.Grandfather - (previously unreleased)
- 3.If That's What Makes You Happy
- 4.In Honor Of A Lady
- 6.Back In Love Again - (previously unreleased)
- 7.Good Night And Good Morning - (previously unreleased)
- 8.Gotta Be Stronger - (previously unreleased)
- 9.Past Times Behind
- 10.Baby Come Closer - (previously unreleased)
- 11.I Ain't Afraid Of The Cold - (previously unreleased)
- 12.They Needed Each Other
- 13.I'll Be By
- 15.You Don't Know - (previously unreleased)
- 16.Deep River Blues
- 17.Lonely Girl, A - (with Daryl Hall)
- 18.Vicki-Vicki - (with Daryl Hall)
- 19.Girl Don't Make Me Wait - (previously unreleased, with Daryl Hall)
Daryl Hall & John Oates: Daryl Hall (vocals); John Oates.
Personnel: Daryl Hall (guitar, mandolin, keyboards); John Oates (guitar, harmonica); Tim Moore (guitar); Tom Sellers (keyboards); Jim Helmer (drums, percussion).
Liner Note Authors: John Madara; Bill Dahl.
Recording information: Atlantic Studios, New York, NY (1968-1972); Sigma Sound Studios, Philadelphia, PA (1968-1972).
Illustrator: John Madara.
Arrangers: Daryl Hall; Tom Sellers.
Issued in 2006, this compilation collects formative songs by Daryl Hall and John Oates. Boasting tracks recorded in the late 1960s and early '70s, THE PHILADELPHIA YEARS reveals how the city's signature soul sound influenced the duo, as best evidenced by the acoustic R&B of "If That's What Makes You Happy." Many of the tunes on this set (a number of which are previously unreleased) recall the contemporaneous, piano-driven songs of Elton John, most notably the plaintive "Fall in Philadelphia" and the wistful "Back in Love Again," revealing an approach far different from Hall & Oates's slickly produced '80s work. Although primarily geared toward diehard Hall & Oates fans, this disc will also be of interest to aficionados of late-'60s/early-'70s blue-eyed soul.