Sugar Minott Dance Hall Showcase, Volume 2
- Released: July 8, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Wackies / Basic
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Informer
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Informout
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Genuine Lover
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Genuine Dub
- $0.99 on iTunes5.So We Love It
- $0.99 on iTunes6.So We Dub It
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Dread a Mi Idren
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Dreadlocks Rock
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Informer
- $0.99 on iTunes10.Tear Down the Dance Hall
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Sugar Minott (vocals); Jah Batta , Little John.
Few artists have had as pervasive an influence on modern-day reggae as the versatile Sugar Minott. Beginning his illustrious career voicing sides for the legendary producer Coxsone Dodd, Minott soon took on various roles beyond the mic, becoming both an in-demand producer and sound system operator. But his greatest contributions lay in his early-'80s material, where his emotive mix of lovers rock-style vocals and sing-jay chatting set the stage for the emergence of ragga dancehall. DANCEHALL SHOWCASE VOL. 2 is a reissue of a rare 1983 album that originally surfaced on Minott's own Black Roots label. Cut with US-based, Jamaican ex-pat producer Lloyd "Bullwackie" Barnes, it represents a high-water mark for late-period dub-inflected rockers. Combining stark, stripped down rhythms with discordant echo effects, the spacious reverb-drenched mix provides ample space for Sugar's romantic croon--a light, bouncy mix of singing and chatting that was later termed "rub-a-dub" style.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) TOP 10 Bestseller
99¢ on SALE