Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (Silent)
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 22 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: June 4, 2002
- Originally Released: 1919
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Directed by||Robert Wiene|
|Screenplay by||Carl Mayer & Hans Janowitz|
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"...Exhibit A for the whole German Expressionist movement....A classic." -- Rating: A
"...This is an impressive color-tinted rendering of the German silent classic..."
"...One of the first -- and still one of the greatest -- psychological horror movies..."
"...[An] eerie classic..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
Set designer Hermann Warm enlisted Walter Reimann and Walter Roehrig, fellow members of Berlin's expressionist Der Sturm group, to act as art directors. They created the unprecedented look of the sets, costumes and makeup to reflect the mind of a madman. The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari demonstrated to all future filmakers that psychological horror could equal or exceed the effects of physical shocks. This thought-provoking film is a must-see for all who appreciate great movies.
- A silent film.
- Producer Erich Pommer originally hired Fritz Lang to direct, but when Lang's busy schedule kept him from working on the film he was replaced by Robert Wiene. Pommer is responsible for writing the film's famous surprise ending.
- The film's production cost is estimated at under $20,000.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 131 ratings.
Considered to be the first real horror movioe, The Cabinet of Dr Caligari is more than that. Filmed in an expressionalist set in unique camera angels, backgrounds, costumes. and lightning, the film makes you question who is mad and what is madness? Who are the true occupants of the asylum? You? Me? Are we all mad?
I saw this for the 1st time about 30 years ago and I guess I'd forgotten how scarey it is. Yes, it's a horror film, but with a twist: what happened, it is real, what is real, who - including you and I - are mad in this world? Ages ahead of its time!
I had often read about "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligary" in the many film books I enjoyed at my local library so I was very excited when it was released on DVD. It was a long wait but one well worth it. This is a true classic and should be required viewing for all film students.
I was particularly impressed with the distorted sets and scenery. Conrad Veidt's performance was outstanding as the sleepwalker that stalks the German village by night. But this is not to be dismissed as just another horror film. It is so much more than that- the viewer sees the world through the eyes of a psychotic and you will find yourself asking "is it real? Did that really happen?"
This film would influence generations of film makers to come and is well worth adding to a classic film library.
This is a great excursion into German Expressionism when the media was just beginning. Great story, somewhat outdated since this plot has been done before -- but this was the first to tell the story through the eyes of a lunatic! Every collector should have this gem!
Long befofe Tim Burton was born, Robert Wiene directed one of the most visually creepy films of all time. The sets in this film are amazing, and the makeup and costumes are equally as creepy. This is a must have for anybody who considers themselves a horror film buff. It's the first horror film ever.
- Sales Rank: 643
- UPC: 089218317094
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
Alpha Video Labels:
- Ace of Clubs (1925) / Another Man's Boots (1922) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces and Eights (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces Wild / Wild Mustang (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Art Acord Double Feature: Fighters of the Saddle (Silent) / Pursued (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the Plains (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
© 2016 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.