Lady of Burlesque
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
Available in a set:
- Based on the novel "The G-String Murders" by Gypsy Rose Lee
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 31 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: April 16, 2002
- Originally Released: 1943
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Michael O'Shea & Barbara Stanwyck|
|Performer:||Pinky Lee, Iris Adrian, Frank Conroy, J. Edward Bromberg, Marion Martin & Charles Dingle|
|Directed by||William A. Wellman|
|Edited by||James E. Newcomb|
|Screenwriting by||James Gunn|
|Composition by||Arthur Lange|
|Cinematography by||Robert De Grasse|
|Art Direction by||Bernard Herzbrun|
|Produced by||Hunt Stromberg|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Arthur Lange's music score received an Academy Award nomination. One of the film's highlights is Stanwyck's rendition of "Take It Off The E-String" -complete with bumps and grinds.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 68 ratings.
Barbara Stanwyck is gorgeous (you wish more time could have been spent filming her in her burlesque costume) but most of all the film and audio quality are great; it’s the best I have ever seen. If you have seen the film on TV you’ll remember it as rather dark with poor sound. Finally a great was found and it makes for a whole new viewing experience.
The movie is based on real-life stripper Gypsy Rose Lee’s “The G-String Murders” and it holds up quite well. Barbara is as sexy here as she was in her earlier 1930s movies like Night Nurse. A must for Barbara Stanwyck fans.
Stanwyck is perfect as the hard-as-nails burlesque queen. Playing the character Gypsy Rose Lee wrote for herself, she never goes over the top. Only in "Ball of Fire" does she come close to a character like this. The other burlesque queens are true to type for the era: hard-bitten bleached blondes and dumb-as-a-box-of-rocks cuties. The first time I saw "Take It Off the E-String, Play It On the G-String," I nearly fell out of my chair. This is Stanwyck? Damn right! You go, girl!
The hard working Miss Stanwyck isn't the only star in this delightful picture - it's full of great character actors and actresses who, in Hollywood's heyday, could really bring a story to life. Several fun burlesque routines are included in the story - no stripteasers: this is really a family picture - and the backstage dramatics are pretty true to life. The film used as a master for this DVD was an old 16mm TV print with some cue marks and the disolves between scenes clipped out. I was pleased with the clear sharp picture. The audio has an average amount of slight hum and noise - nothing too bad and the music and dialogue come through loud and clear. These minor flaws don't spoil the fun. Alpha has done a good job of transfering the film to the dvd.
This movie has it all, stars, mystery, music, and laughs. Lady of Burlesque is my favorite of the Barbara Stanwyck vehicles. I especially like the scenes with Pinky Lee, who almost stole the movie.
- Sales Rank: 1,873
- UPC: 089218316899
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) (DVD-R) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) (DVD-R) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
Alpha Video Labels:
- Ace of Clubs (1925) / Another Man's Boots (1922) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces and Eights (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces Wild / Wild Mustang (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Art Acord Double Feature: Fighters of the Saddle (Silent) / Pursued (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the Plains (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE