- Released: October 6, 1992
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
Entertainment Weekly - 11/13/92, p.78
"...this scorching set of early Stevie Ray Vaughan should further enhance the late blues guitarist's already legendary status..." - Rating: B+
Q - 2/93, p.943 Stars
- Good - "...this is the perfect opportunity to hear what he and his incredibly tight bass and drums set-up could achieve...a consuming downhome listen with some scorching slide and Vaughan's gritty vocal growl..."
Q - 12/94, p.1734 Stars
- Excellent - "...before Stevie had become Stevie Ray, before he had a record deal...but not before the guitarist had already refined the incendiary and individual style that would later earn him a place among the blues greats..."
Living Blues - 1-2/93, pp.65-66
"...at this stage Vaughan's own licks were still forming but he plays the hell out of those he borrowed.... captures his raw energy wonderfully..."
- 1.IN THE OPEN
- 2.SLIDE THING
- 3.THEY CALL ME GUITAR HURRICANE
- 4.ALL YOUR LOVE I MISS LOVING
- 5.TIN PAN ALLEY
- 6.LOVE STRUCK BABY
- 7.TELL ME
- 8.SHAKE FOR ME
- 9.LIVE ANOTHER DAY
Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble: Stevie Ray Vaughan (guitar); Jackie Newhouse (bass); Chris Layton (drums).
Recorded live at The Steamboat Club, Austin, Texas on April 1, 1980. Includes liner notes by Jody Denberg.
With the release of Stevie Ray Vaughan's 1983 debut album, the world at large began a love affair with the Texas bluesman, but in 1980, when the concert featured here was recorded in Austin, Vaughan still belonged to the Lone Star State. His style already sounds fully formed here, though his engine runs more on furious energy than on the sophistication he'd find later. Backed by his classic Double Trouble rhythm section, Vaughan explodes his six-string fireworks all over tunes he'd later make famous, as well as songs by his own guitar heroes like Otis Rush.