The Bad Plus These Are the Vistas
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 CDs for $49.90
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: February 11, 2003
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
Rolling Stone - 12/25/03, p.104Included in Rolling Stone's "50 Best Albums of 2003"
Rolling Stone - 3/20/03, p.674 stars out of 5 - "...Bad to the bone, hot players with hard-rock hearts..."
Entertainment Weekly - 5/2/03, p.71"...A piano-bass-drums power trio who's forged a fairly traditionalist jazz sound any rocker could recognize as spiritually akin. Think Vince Guaraldi at CBGB..." - Rating: A-
- 1.BIG EATER
- 2.KEEP THE BUGS OFF YOUR GLASS AND THE BEARS OFF YOUR ASS
- 3.SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT
- 4.EVERYWHERE YOU TURN
- 5.1972 BRONZE MEDALIST
- 9.HEART OF GLASS
- 10.SILENCE IS THE QUESTION
The Bad Plus: Ethan Iverson (piano); Reid Anderson (bass); Dave King (drums).
Recorded at Real World Studios, Wiltshire, England.
The Bad Plus threw a lightning bolt at the music scene in 2003 with its major-label debut THESE ARE THE VISTAS, a "jazz" record that rocked hard. GIVE offers more of the same, a potent combination of technical virtuosity and free-jazz adventurousness filtered through a rock sensibility. The group wastes little time in dispelling the notion that it's your run-of-the-mill piano trio, laying out its modus operandi in opening track "1979 Semi-Finalist." Drummer David King pounds a driving backbeat behind Reid Anderson's powerhouse bass while Ethan Iverson coolly rides the waves with graceful pianism.
Iverson moves easily from elegant lyricism ("Frog and Toad") to two-fisted sonic assaults ("Dirty Blonde"). King is the jazz equivalent of Keith Moon, playing with an abandon and intensity that always seems perilously close to crashing out of control. Anderson is a rock-solid anchor but shows he can stretch out, most notably on Ornette Coleman's "Street Woman." Once again, the band looks well beyond the world of jazz for some interesting repertoire choices, this time covering the Pixies' "Velouria" and Black Sabbath's "Iron Man." With GIVE, The Bad Plus again proves that defying conventions can produce artistically satisfying results.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 69 ratings.
Based on 69 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 22,420
- UPC: 886977136320
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Bargain Audio CDs & Priceless Collection Product Series:
- 311 Music (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Playlist: The Very Best of 311 (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Playlist: The Very Best of 311 [Clean] (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Soundsystem (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Uplifter (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Rock & Pop: Post Rock Music Categories:
Ambarchi & Avenaim The Alter Rebbe's Nigun (CD) ~
$14.72 Super Savings
- ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead (CD) ~ $14.38
- Atlas Sound Let the Blind Lead Those Who See But Cannot Feel (CD) ~ $16.18
- Atlas Sound Logos (CD) ~ $16.18
- The Bad Plus Give (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE