Gene Autry The Western Collection: 25 Cowboy Classics
Only 6 copies left
|You Save:||$1.70 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: October 30, 2001
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Varese Fontana
- 1.Tumbling Tumbleweeds
- 2.Call of the Canyon
- 3.Red River Valley
- 4.Purple Sage in the Twilight
- 5.Take Me Back to My Boots and Saddle
- 6.Twilight on the Trail
- 7.There's a Rainbow on the Rio Colorado
- 8.Oklahoma Hills
- 9.Sioux City Sue
- 10.South of the Border (Down Mexico Way)
- 11.The Last Roundup
- 12.Rounded up in Glory
- 13.Ridin' Down the Canyon
- 14.The Singing Hills
- 15.Ole Faithful
- 16.Blue Shadows on the Trail
- 17.Ghost Riders in the Sky
- 18.Mule Train
- 19.Sing Me a Song of the Saddle
- 20.The Old Chisholm Trail
- 21.There's a Gold Mine in the Sky
- 22.Home on the Range
- 23.Back in the Saddle Again
- 24.Rim of the Canyon
- 25.The Hills of Wyoming
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Gene Autry, The Cass County Boys.
Compilation producers: Cary E. Mansfield, Karla Buhlman, Johnny Western.
Recorded between August 14, 1939 and December 12, 1954. Includes liner notes by Johnny Western and O.J. Sikes.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
This is part of Varese Sarabande Records "Varese Vintage" series.
Gene Autry was the original singing cowboy, and his voice is still echoes in the warm tone of today's "new traditionalist" balladeers. This disc documents 25 of the tunes that the Western film star recorded over the span of 15 years (1939-1954). A distinction must be made here between country and Western music. These are clearly Western tunes, travelogues of sorts that tell tales of life out on the trails, among the tumbleweed, riding through the hills and valleys or prairie flatlands. This is outdoor music, made up of campfire melodies and cowboy refrains.
Classics "Home on the Range" and "Back in the Saddle Again" are found here, and these tunes wonderfully evoke the image of the vast open landscapes, along with "Tumbling Tumbleweeds" and "South of the Border (Down Mexico Way)." In addition, the lesser-known Autry ballads "Rim of the Canyon" and "Purple Sage in the Twilight" make this compilation even more interesting. The haunting "Ghost Riders in the Sky" is also presented here. This song has been dusted off many times throughout the decades, (including a 1998 VH1 Storytellers performance by Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash), revealing the time-tested quality of these tunes.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 7 ratings.
Based on 7 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
There's Been a Change in Me (1951-1955) (7-CD Box Set)
$167.39 Super Savings
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Garage Band Halloween, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Garage Band Halloween, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE