Thoroughly Modern Millie [1967 Original Soundtrack]
by Various Artists
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$9.72 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.26 (11% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Soundtrack ~ Cinderella [Rodgers and Hammerstein's] [1957 TV Soundtrack][Bonus Tracks] ~ $9.71
- by Various Artists ~ Mary Poppins [Special Edition] (2-CD) ~ $9.88
- Thoroughly Modern Millie ~ $10.83
- by Various Artists ~ Thoroughly Modern Millie (Original Broadway Cast) ~ $9.18
- Released: October 13, 1992
- Originally Released: 1992
- Label: MCA
- 1.Thoroughly Modern Millie (Prelude)
- 2.Overture: Baby Face / Do It Again! / Poor Butterfly / Stumbling / Japanese Sandman
- 4.The Tapioca
- 5.Jazz Baby
- 6.Jewish Wedding Song
- 7.Intermission Medley: Thoroughly Modern Millie / Jimmy / Jewish Wedding Song / Baby Face
- 8.Poor Butterfly
- 9.Rose of Washington Square
- 10.Baby Face
- 11.Do It Again!
- 12.Thoroughly Modern Millie (Reprise)
- 13.Exit Music: Jazz Baby / Jimmy / Thoroughly Modern Millie
Arranged and conducted by Andre Previn.
For Julie Andrews' third movie musical, following the wildly successful Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music, film producer Ross Hunter apparently tried and failed to get the rights to The Boyfriend, the faux-1920s musical in which Andrews had made her American theatrical debut. Instead, he developed his own faux-1920s musical, adding as co-stars Carol Channing, the star of the hit Broadway show Hello, Dolly!, and Mary Tyler Moore, fresh from five seasons as the co-star of TV's popular The Dick Van Dyke Show. In his liner notes, Hunter describes his attention to period detail, and he spent lavishly on a film that runs long enough to require an intermission. What he didn't bother with were a coherent script (not the concern of this review) or an original song score for his musical. He did hire the songwriting team of Sammy Cahn and James Van Heusen (known for their work with Frank Sinatra) to pen a title song in the vein of "Anything Goes" and one other number. Otherwise, he used period songs such as "Baby Face," "Jazz Baby," and "Do It Again!" For the soundtrack album, Andrews does her usual sterling job with her lovely voice and careful British articulation (though she sounds odd performing "Jewish Wedding Song" in Yiddish), while Channing enjoys herself as usual. Like the film, the soundtrack album, though only 36 and a half minutes long, is heavily padded with repetitions, medleys, and reprises. The effort here is to take a slight project and treat it like a blockbuster, hoping it will perform like one. [Note that none of Elmer Bernstein's Academy Award-winning score is included on this album.] ~ William Ruhlmann
Hawaiian Eye (Original Music & Stars From The TV Show) (CD)
Out of PrintSave for Later
Mary Poppins [Remastered Original Soundtrack / Bonus Tracks] (CD)
$11.12 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 19 ratings.
Based on 19 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Black Roses (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (LP)
$8.98 on SALE
Maniac Cop (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (LP)
$20.24 Super Savings
Johnny Be Good (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (LP)
$3.74 Super Savings