- Released: October 25, 1990
- Originally Released: 1986
- Label: MCA
Entertainment Weekly - 10/12/01, p.42Ranked #78
in EW's "100 Best Movie Soundtracks" - "...Yearningly nostalgic, the album is bathed in the romantic warmth of a safari sunset..."
- 1.Main Title (I Had a Farm in Africa)
- 2.I'm Better at Hello (Karen's Theme I)
- 3.Have You Got a Story For Me?
- 4.Concerto For Clarinet and Orchestra in A
- 6.Karen's Journey / Siyawe
- 7.Flying Over Africa
- 8.I Had a Compass From Denys (Karen's Theme II)
- 9.Alone on the Farm
- 10.Let the Rest of the World Go By
- 11.If I Know a Song of Africa (Karen's Theme III)
- 12.End Title (You Are Karen)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Original score composed by John Barry.
All music written by John Barry.
Original score composed and conducted by John Barry.
Personnel: Jack Brymer (clarinet).
Recording information: The Record Plant, Studio M.
Author: John Clifford Barry.
Director: Neville Marriner.
Unknown Contributor Role: Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields.
Joel McNeely & the Royal Scottish National Orchestra's version of John Barry's Academy Award-winning score for Out of Africa mixes the film's musical pieces with Celtic, classical, and pop favorites. Pieces such as Mozart's "Mozart: Clarinet Concerto in A major, K622 (adagio)," "Dear Old Ireland," and "The Ghost of Molly McGuire" blend well with Barry's lush, sweeping compositions, but purists may want to seek out a more straightforward version of the score for an unadulterated Out of Africa experience. ~ Heather Phares