|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
- Silent film
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 4 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: November 27, 2001
- Originally Released: 1922
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Performer:||Gustave Von Wagenheim, Greta Schroeder & Alexander Granach|
|Directed by||F.W. Murnau|
|Screenplay by||Henrik Galeen|
|Director of Photography:||Fritz Arno Wagner|
"...[A] silent masterpiece..."
"...The bloodsucker flick that sired them all..."
"...NOSFERATU inspired dozens of other Dracula films, none of them as artistic or unforgettable..."
"...A genius of silent cinema, Murnau uses a range of primitive but still startling techniques..."
"...Haunting....The nightmarish appearance of Max Schreck as history's favorite vampire remains an indelible image of horror..."
5 stars out of 5 -- "[E]ven across the oceans of time since it was made, it still creeps you out like very few creature features have ever done."
4 stars out of 5 -- "[The film] remains the template of vampire cinema....Max Schreck still registers as one one of the eeriest ghouls of horror cinema."
"He's a thousand times freakier than any other screen Dracula, and Murnau suddenly kicks the film into Expressionist overdrive with the sequence of Nosferatu's ocean voyage..." -- Grade: B+
Description by OLDIES.com:
- The last name of Max Schreck is German for "terror" or "to frighten."
- In 2000, Willem Dafoe portrayed Max Schreck and John Malkovich played F.W. Murnau in the film SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 256 ratings.
I recently purchsed the Early Cinema Box Set with four horror classic, one of which is Nosferatu.
The edition offered here is slightly bastardized by the insertion of more than a few screens wherin Count Graf Orlok is refered to as Dracula and other charcaters are given names straight from Bram Stoker's Dracula. The charcter of Hutter is named Johnathan Hawker and many such incodents occur.
It is very important that the viewer know that the initial editon of Nosferatu made every effort to NOT relate to Dracula. In fact Stoker's widow sucessfully sued the producers citing copywright infringment.
I strongly suggest Oldies revamp this edition to reflect a more accurate portrayl n the spirit of true classic preservation or that you purchase this from another purveyor.
That's my lousy opinion.
FW Murnau creates a pretty faithful silent version of Dracula. Murnau was one of the great silent film directors ("Sunrise" 1927) who died in an auto accident before sound came out. The cinematography is always the highlight of his films -- and the images will amaze you. The story of the making of this film was featured in the Movie "The Shadow of the Vampire" with Willem Dafoe (Oscar Nominee) playing the crazy Max Schreck who plays the Vampire.
Nosferatu is the first vampire movie ever, and it remains hard to beat. Even Bela Lugosi, in his vastly more famous version of the Bram Stoker tale, comes off as amateurish compared to Max Schreck's legitamitely scary performance. While there are several Nosferatu DVDs on the market, some of vastly better quality, I enjoyed Alpha's version because of the bizarre soundtrack. While many silent DVDs offer a faceless classical score (see Metropolis), this Nosferatu is chock full of weird "library music"--the type of avant garde jazz and classical stuff from the mid-60s to early 70s you find on forgotten vinyl LPs buried in the basement of your local library. Other versions of Nosferatu by other companies do the obvious vampire soundtrack thing--gothic industrial music and creepy heavy metal--but the oddball sounds on Alpha's disc--solo recorders, etc.--really creeped me out. I knocked a star and a half off for transfer quality, though.
- Sales Rank: 2,052
- UPC: 089218315199
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
Alpha Video Labels:
- Ace of Clubs (1925) / Another Man's Boots (1922) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces and Eights (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces Wild / Wild Mustang (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Art Acord Double Feature: Fighters of the Saddle (Silent) / Pursued (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the Plains (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
© 2016 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.