- Soundtrack remasterd in Dolby Digital 5.1
- Commentary by writer/director John Milius
- Vintage "Making of..." featurette
- Theatrical Trailer
- In English and French
- Subtitles: English, Francais, & Espanol
- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 59 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: January 6, 2004
- Originally Released: 1975
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Snap Case
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.39
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"Gentlemen, I'd like to be alone with my bear."
- Theodore Roosevelt (BRIAN KEITH)
"The world must respect American private property and its citizens." -- Theodore Roosevelt (BRIAN KEITH)
"Theodore, you're dangerous."
- John Hay (JOHN HUSTON)
"Get away from that tongue!"
- Eden Pedecaris (CANDICE BERGEN) to her son William (SIMON HARRISON)
Academy Awards 1975 -
Best Original Score: Jerry Goldsmith
Academy Awards 1975 -
Description by OLDIES.com:
Sean Connery brings his commanding presence and rugged heroism to the lead role of desert chieftain Raisuli in this rousing historical epic filled with eye-dazzling vistas and sweeping battle scenes.
In 1904 Morocco, European powers desire a foothold in the Arab world - and Raisuli is determined to stir up tribal fury against them. So he kidnaps an American widow (Candice Bergen) and her children, igniting a chain of events that include President Theodore Roosevelt (Brian Keith) wielding the big stick of foreign policy and Raisuli matching wits and sharing mutual admiration with his lovely captive. John Milius scripts and directs, bending true-life fact to serve his storytelling craft, shaping history into spirited screen legend.
At the turn of the century, a North African sheik kidnaps an American widow and her children in Tangiers, setting off a chain of international incidents. But while she's being held for ransom, the widow finds herself increasingly attracted to her captor. Then, Theodore Roosevelt--with thoughts of re-election on his mind--sends the Marines to rescue them, and becomes entangled in both European and Arabian political intrigues. Academy Award Nominations: Best Sound, Best Original Score.
Kidnapping And Missing Persons |
Period Piece |
Race Relations |
- Shot in Panavision; color by Metrocolor.
- This story is loosely based on a historical event. In actuality, the kidnapped victims were a 60-year-old American man and an Englishman, not a woman and her children. Theodore Roosevelt handled the situation diplomatically; the Marines did not invade.
- Additional cast: Simon Harrison (William Pedecaris), Polly Gottesman (Jennifer Pedecaris), Deborah Baxter, Jack Colley, Chris Aller (Roosevelt children), Shirley Rothman (Mrs. Roosevelt).
- Additional credits: R. Antonio Paton (art direction), Juan Jose Majan (stunt coordinator), Miguel Pedregosa (stunt coordinator).