Savoy 60th Anniversary: Timeless (2-CD)
by Various Artists
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: January 27, 2010
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Savoy Jazz
Tracks on Disc 1:
- $1.29 on iTunes1.Parker's Mood - Charlie Parker
- $1.29 on iTunes2.Long Tall Dexter - Dexter Gordon
- $1.29 on iTunes3.Sippin' At Bell's - Miles Davis All-Stars / Charlie Parker
- $1.29 on iTunes4.Champ, Pt. 1 & 2, The - Dizzy Gillespie (Part 1 & 2)
- $1.29 on iTunes5.Don't Worry 'Bout Me - Stan Getz
- $1.29 on iTunes6.Bebop In Pastel [Take 3] - Kenny Dorham / The Be Bop Boys
- $1.29 on iTunes7.Fat Girl - Fats Navarro / Leo Parker
- $1.29 on iTunes8.Supersonic - Lennie Tristano
- $1.29 on iTunes9.These Foolish Things - Art Pepper Quartet / Art Pepper
- $1.29 on iTunes10.Bernie's Tune - J.J. Johnson / Kai Winding
- $1.29 on iTunes11.Tea For Two - Charles Mingus
- $1.29 on iTunes12.Bohemia After Dark - Kenny Clarke / Cannonball Adderley
- $1.29 on iTunes13.Star Eyes - Donald Byrd
- $1.29 on iTunes14.P.S. I Love You - Lee Morgan
- $1.29 on iTunes15.B.J. - John Coltrane
Tracks on Disc 2:
- $1.29 on iTunes1.Jump, Lester, Jump - Lester Young
- $1.29 on iTunes2.Now's the Time, Pt. 4 - Miles Davis / Charlie Parker
- $1.29 on iTunes3.Oo Bop Sh'bam - Billy Eckstine
- $1.29 on iTunes4.I Surrender Dear - Ben Webster
- $1.29 on iTunes5.Illinois Goes to Chicago - Emmett Berry / Illinois Jacquet
- $1.29 on iTunes6.Deacon's Hop, The - Big Jay McNeely
- $1.29 on iTunes7.Huckle-Buck, The - Paul "Hucklebuck" Williams
- $1.29 on iTunes8.Cornbread - Hal Singer
- $1.29 on iTunes9.Moon Over Miami - George Shearing
- $1.29 on iTunes10.She's Funny That Way - Erroll Garner
- $1.29 on iTunes11.Love is Here To Stay - Marian McPartland
- $1.29 on iTunes12.'Round Midnight - Milt Jackson
- $1.29 on iTunes13.Body and Soul - Eddie Jefferson
- $1.29 on iTunes14.Everyday (I Have the Blues) - King Kolax / Joe Williams
- $1.29 on iTunes15.Trav'lin' Light - Gene Ammons
- $1.29 on iTunes16.When Did You Leave Heaven? - Little Jimmy Scott
- $1.29 on iTunes17.Say It Isn't' So - Ernie Wilkins Orchestra / Big Maybelle
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Includes liner notes by Billy Vera.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Personnel: Billy Eckstine (vocals, trombone); Eddie Jefferson, Little Jimmy Scott, Joe Williams (vocals); John Houston (guitar, piano); Chuck Wayne, Freddie Green, Ike Perkins, Mundell Lowe, Billy Bauer , Connie Wainwright (guitar); Jerome Richardson (flute, tenor saxophone); John LaPorta (clarinet, alto saxophone); Charlie Parker (alto saxophone, tenor saxophone); Leo Parker, Paul "Hucklebuck" Williams (alto saxophone, baritone saxophone); John Cobbs, Gigi Gryce, Art Pepper, Sonny Stitt, Cannonball Adderley (alto saxophone); Teo Macero, George Barrow (tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone); Nat Harper, Dexter Gordon, Arthur Simmons, Frank Foster , Gene Ammons, Hal Singer, Hank Mobley, Illinois Jacquet, John Coltrane, Lester Young , Stan Getz , Ben Webster, Big Jay McNeely, Budd Johnson (tenor saxophone); McKinley Easton, Bob McNeely, Cecil Payne (baritone saxophone); Wilbur Harden (trumpet, flugelhorn); Dizzy Gillespie (trumpet, piano); Donald Byrd, Emmett Berry, Leonard Hawkins, Fats Navarro, Philip Guilbeau, Hobart Dotson, King Kolax, Johnny Coles, Kenny Dorham, Lee Morgan , Miles Davis (trumpet); Nat Adderley (cornet); Curtis Fuller, Milt Larkins, Frank Rehak, Gerald Valentine, Walter Knox, Chips Outcalt, J.J. Johnson , Johnny Morris , Kai Winding (trombone); Count Basie, Devonia Williams, Duke Jordan, Erroll Garner, John Richard Lewis, Floyd Taylor, George Shearing, Walt Harper, Hampton Hawes, Hank Jones , Horace Silver, Howard Biggs, Howard Williams , Johnny Guarnieri, Lennie Tristano, Linton Garner, Mal Waldron, Marian McPartland, Tadd Dameron, Wally Cirillo, Wynton Kelly, Bill Doggett, Bud Powell (piano); Margie Hyams, Milt Jackson (vibraphone); Denzil Best, George Brown , Rudy Nichols, Al Jones , Reetham Mallett, Mel Zelnick, David Booth, Heywood Jackson, Kenny Clarke, Larry Bunker, Max Roach, Alvin Stoller, Art Blakey, Art Taylor, Shadow Wilson, Bobby Donaldson, Wallace Bishop, Cecil Brooks III (drums).
Liner Note Author: Billy Vera.
Recording information: 05/01/1944-05/13/1958.
Arranger: Howard Biggs.
Savoy Jazz marks its 60th anniversary with this double-disc compilation of the early pioneers of bebop. This classic collection features some of the first recordings by such bebop masters as Charlie Parker, Dexter Gordon, Miles Davis, and Stan Getz, among others, playing their classic repertoire of the '40s and '50s. These 32 compositions are also among those that helped to establish and solidify this newly introduced style of jazz in the hearts and souls of many swing and big-band followers around the globe, despite the early thumbs-down given by jazz purists of that decade. Titled Savoy 60th Anniversary: Timeless, the CDs feature state-of-the-art transfers from the actual acetate and tape masters created by these legendary artists at the original historic recording sessions. Listeners can now fully realize such great songs as "Parker's Mood," "Bohemia After Dark," and Little Jimmy Scott's first big record, "When Did You Leave Heaven?," in their finest quality available to date. A best buy for jazz history buffs. ~ Paula Edelstein
How Hi The Fi (featuring Woody Herman) / Jumpin' At The... (CD) TOP 100 Bestseller
99¢ on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) TOP 10 Bestseller
99¢ on SALE
Camp Meeting / Soul of The Gospel Harmonettes (CD) TOP 10 Bestseller
$1.98 on SALE