Doc & Merle Watson Sittin' Here Pickin' the Blues
Only 7 copies left
|You Save:||$1.80 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: April 20, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Rounder / Umgd
Uncut - p.924 stars out of 5 - "[I]mpeccably crafted....A warm dovetailing of jazz, country, swing and bluegrass...""
Dirty Linen - p.45"'Talking to Casey' is an instrumental that features son Merle's prowess on slide guitar, accompanied by a full rhythm guitar-harmonica-fiddle-bass-drums ensemble."
Living Blues - p.58"Doc's fingerpicking and Merle's slide work are exemplary, and Doc's voice retains the same warm, distinctive approach across the selections. Strongly recommended."
Mojo (Publisher) - p.1303 stars out of 5 - "[T]he very stuff of rainy nights and slow trains."
- 1.Freight Train Blues
- 2.Hobo Bill's Last Ride
- 3.Mississippi Heavy Water Blues
- 4.Did You Hear John Hurt?
- 5.John Henry / Worried Blues
- 6.I'm A Stranger Here
- 7.Talking To Casey
- 8.Blue Ridge Mountain Blues
- 9.Any Old Time
- 10.Sittin' Here Pickin' The Blues
- 11.Stormy Weather
- 12.How Long Blues
- 13.Honey Babe Blues
- 14.St. Louis Blues
- 15.Carroll County Blues
- 16.California Blues
- 17.Going To Chicago Blues
- 18.Jailhouse Blues
- 19.Windy And Warm
- 20.Deep River Blues
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Doc Watson's warm baritone, flat-picking guitar style, and facility with an enormous catalogue of American country, blues, and folk songs have made him a popular and significant performer. His large discography contains solo outings and collaborations alike, including numerous recordings accompanied by his son Merle on guitar. SITTIN' HERE PICKIN' THE BLUES is a Rounder collection that features the duo's 1985 release PICKIN' THE BLUES plus eight additional tracks from 1979-1983.
As usual, the emphasis here is on traditional material. Tracks such as "Freight Train Blues," "Deep River Blues," and "John Henry" (performed as a medley with "Worried Blues") receive rhythmic treatments by the Watsons. Also included are renditions of several Jimmy Rodgers tunes, including "Any Old Time" and "California Blues," and blues classics by Barbecue Bob, Sleepy John Estes, and W.C. Handy. Musical guests add fiddle, harmonica, bass, background harmonies, and occasional percussion to the performance, but the focus never strays from Merle's deft slide work or Doc's beautiful, heartfelt interpretations.
Doc WatsonDoc Watson on Stage (Featuring Merle Watson) (Live)
$15.71 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Lonesome and Blue: The Complete County Recordings (CD)
$15.08 Super Savings
I've Been Woking On The Guitar: The Legend Begins (CD)
$8.34 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Johnny Cash Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Folsom Prison Blues / I Walk The Line (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
The Browns Complete As & Bs and More 1954 - 62 (CD) ~
$14.22 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE