O Sister! The Women's Bluegrass Collection
by Various Artists
|You Save:||$1.20 (10% Off)|
Currently Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- Released: October 23, 2001
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Rounder / Umgd
- 1.If Wishes Were Horses - Claire Lynch
- 2.Silver Tongue and Gold Plated Lies - Suzanne Thomas
- 3.Sad Situation - Delia Bell
- 4.True Life Blues - Hazel Dickens / Alice Gerrard
- 5.Lonesome Wind Blues - Rhonda Vincent
- 6.Pardon Me - The Cox Family
- 7.Old River - Ginny Hawker / Hazel Dickens
- 8.You Tried to Ruin My Name - Wilma Lee Cooper
- 9.I Can't Find Your Love Any More - Hazel Dickens
- 10.Just Like Rain - Kathy Kallick / Laurie Lewis
- 11.Mama's Hand - Lynn Morris
- 12.Every Time You Say Goodbye - Alison Krauss
- 13.Blue - Stevens Sisters
- 14.Time Is Winding Up - Carol Elizabeth Jones / Ginny Hawker
- 15.Blow, Big Wind - Laurie Lewis
- 16.Will There Be Any Stars? - Alison Krauss / The Cox Family
- 17.Last Old Shovel, The - Phyllis Boyens
- 18.Comin' Down from God - Carol Elizabeth Jones
- 19.Eight More Miles - Claire Lynch / Laurie Lewis / Lynn Morris / Rhonda Vincent
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Includes liner notes by Marty Godbey.
Personnel: Dudley Connell, Mary Gibbons, Jim Hurst, Kathy Kallick, Lynn Morris, Alice Gerrard, Suzanne Thomas, Wilma Lee Cooper (vocals, guitar); Gene Wooten (vocals, dobro); Beth Stevens (vocals, banjo); Don Rigsby, Rhonda Vincent, Tom Rozum (vocals, mandolin); Laurie Lewis, Alison Krauss (vocals, fiddle); Ronnie Bowman (vocals, electric bass); Claire Lynch, Delia Bell, Douglas Stevens, Ginny Hawker, Hazel Dickens, Evelyn Cox, Sidney Cox, Phyllis Boyens, April Stevens, Suzanne Cox, Terry Smith , Bill Grant, Todd Phillips, Carol Elizabeth Jones, Carolee Cooper (vocals); Ron Block (guitar, banjo); Kenny Smith , Jeff White, Pete Kennedy, Bryan Sutton (guitar); Roger Williams , Rob Ickes (dobro); Richard Underwood, Lamar Grier, Marc Pruett, Sammy Shelor, Stanley Brown, Tom Adams, Tony Furtado, Michael McLain (banjo); Ron Stewart (mandolin, fiddle); Larry Lynch (mandolin, background vocals); David McLaughlin, Adam Steffey, John Reischman, Mike Seeger, Barry Mitterhoff, Wayne Benson (mandolin); Clarence "Tater" Tate, Eddie Stubbs, Mike Hartgrove, Stuart Duncan, Tracy Schwarz (fiddle); Barry Bales, Ronnie Simpkins (acoustic bass).
Liner Note Author: Marty Godbey.
Photographer: Rick Olivier.
The latest in a lengthening string of releases designed to benefit from association with the Coen brothers film O Brother, Where Art Thou? is this all-girl bluegrass compilation, which features on its cover the requisite stubbly cornfield and archaic font style. Opportunistic as the packaging may be, there's no arguing with the quality of the content. Generously packed with outstanding performances by women as stylistically disparate as Hazel Dickens, Claire Lynch, and Kathy Kallick, O Sister is a delightful celebration of several generations of criminally unheralded female bluegrass artists. The highlights are many, but particular standout tracks include Rhonda Vincent's rocking "Lonesome Wind Blues," the hard-edged mountain sound of Phyllis Boyens (backed up by Hazel Dickens and the Johnson Mountain Boys), and the clawhammer banjo-powered "Comin' Down From God" by the relatively unknown Carol Elizabeth Jones. The usual suspects are here too, of course, including Alison Krauss (on the exquisitely gentle and sweet "Every Time You Say Goodbye") and the Cox Family (twice). You might buy this one because you feel guilty about the way women have been neglected in the bluegrass world, but you'll keep coming back to it because the songs are just so dang good. ~ Rick Anderson
The Angels Are Singing: A Women's Bluegrass Gospel...
$10.56 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 27 ratings.
Based on 27 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Chet Atkins And His Guitar / The Guitar Genius (CD)(5)
$1.98 on SALE
But What Will The Neighbors Think / Rodney Crowell (CD)(9)
$2.98 on SALE