THX 1138 (Director's Cut)
Warner Bros. DVD Clearance Sale (series)
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- Subtitles: English, French, Spanish
- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 28 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: September 14, 2004
- Originally Released: 1971
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - French
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - Spanish
- THX - English
- Audio Commentary - 1. George Lucas - Director, Walter Murch - Co-Writer/Sound Editor
- Scene Access
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Maggie McOmie, Donald Pleasence, Don Pedro Colley & Robert Duvall|
|Performer:||Ian Wolfe, Marshall Efron, Sid Haig & Irene Forrest|
|Directed by||George Lucas|
|Edited by||George Lucas|
|Screenwriting by||George Lucas & Walter Murch|
|Composition by||Lalo Schifrin|
|Cinematography by||David Myers|
|Art Direction by||Michael Haller|
|Produced by||Lawrence Sturhahn|
|Executive Production by||Francis Ford Coppola|
"A sci-fi classic..."
"[A] good film..."
"[A] science-fiction parable set in the 25th century and displaying remarkable visual mastery."
"[I]t's visually breathtaking."
"[T]he film exhibits a sci-fi sensibility rooted in Orwell, Kubrick and Kafka..."
4 stars out of 5 -- "Lucas' biggest set is a bare, bleached-out void, while his primary resource is sound, Walter Murch's dense multi-tracks engulfing us in an oppressive drone of voice and noise."
Description by OLDIES.com:
George Lucas gave movie lovers notice of the greatness to come with this feature-film directorial debut, seen here in a Director's Cut. Using astonishing visuals and groundbreaking sound effects, Lucas showed the inventiveness he would later bring to American Graffiti and his Star Wars and Indiana Jones epics. Robert Duvall is the hero behind the number, a man who breaks free of the state-required stupor of drugs, learns the liberating power of love and seeks out a brave new world.
Combining complex editing and sound techniques with brilliantly subtle performances, THX 1138 is Lucas's less widely regarded vision of life in outer space, though it stands firmly as an awe-inspiring sci-fi spectacle. The film is also eerily prophetic, depicting a world in which television screens are bombarded with sensationalistic news, sexually explicit films, and vapid comedy shows.
- Theatrical release: March 11, 1971
- The film was shot on location in Northern California.
- A special director's cut edition of THX 1138 was released in 2004 after screening at several of America's most prominent film festivals (including the Telluride and Los Angeles Film Festivals).
- Lucas made the quirky decision to have the film's opening credits scroll down instead of up.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 91 ratings.
- Sales Rank: 8,265
- UPC: 012569450622
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 11th Hour (DVD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- 2001: A Space Odyssey (Widescreen) (DVD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- 3 Godfathers (DVD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- 3-2-1 Penguins: The Amazing Carnival of Complaining (DVD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- 300 (Blu-ray) ~ $6.98 on SALE
Science-Fiction / Fantasy Movie Categories:
12 Monkeys (Blu-ray) ~
$10.83 Super Savings
12 Monkeys (Special Edition) (DVD) ~
$10.83 Super Savings
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (DVD) ~
$9.79 Super Savings
2001: A Space Odyssey (Blu-ray, Special Edition) ~
$7.67 Super Savings
2001: A Space Odyssey (Special Edition) (2-DVD) ~
$21.88 Super Savings
© 2017 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.