- Released: February 27, 1996
- Label: Hannibal
Q - 3/96, p.913 Stars
- Good - "...this is a new band playing the music as well as it has ever been played..."
Down Beat - 3/96, p.574.5 Stars
- Very Good/Excellent - "...instrumental Cuban dance music....Alemany...has a fat, greasy tone and a stratospheric high register, while Alfredo Rodriguez has a crunching, percussive command of the piano, both showing little jazz influence. The band...smokes like a fine cigar..."
Option - 5-6/96, p.91
"...very close to a dream team of Cuban musicians....After listening...you'll understand why this island attracted so many foreigners before Castro came into power..."
New York Times (Publisher) - 4/14/96, Sec.2, p.30
"...[CUBANISMO] simmers with the excitement of a party....A recording studio is on occasion blessed by being a witness to a session that equals in intensity music performed in a club. This recording documents one of those times."
- 1.Descarga de Hoy :: Jam Today
- 2.Meta y Guaguanco
- 3.Tumbao de Coqueta :: Flirtation Riff
- 4.Aprovecha :: Grab The Moment To Cha-Cha-Cha
- 5.Pa' que Gozen :: For Enjoyment's Sake
- 6.Ni Pa'ca Ni Pa'lla :: Neither Here Nor There
- 7.Homenaje a Arcano :: Tribute To Arcano
- 8.La Rumba y el Tumbador :: The Rumba And The Drummer
- 9.Cicuta Tibia :: Lukewarm Poison
- 10.Ahora Me Voy :: Here I Go
Personnel: Jesus Alemany (trumpet); Jorge Luis Rojas "Rojitas" (vocals); Efraim Rios (tres, background vocals); Orlando Valle "Maracas" (flute); Yosvany Terry Cabrera (alto saxophone); Leonardo Castellini "Nardy" (tenor saxophone); Javier Salvas (baritone saxophone); Luis Alemany, Luis Alemany, Jr. (trumpet); Carlos Alvarez (trombone); Alfredo Rodriguez (piano); Carlos Puerto, Jr. (bass); Tata Guines (quinto, conga, bongo, guiro); Emilio Del Monte (timbale); Julian Oviedo (bongo); Carlos Godines (bongo, guiro, claves); Miguel Aurelio Diaz "Anga" (timbale, conga, bongo); Luis Varzaga (background vocals).
Recorded at Egrem Studios, Havana, Cuba in May 1995.
Personnel: Jes£s Alema¤y (trumpet); Efra¡n R¡os (vocals, tres); Jorge Luis Rojas, Luis Varzaga (vocals); Tata G?ines (quinto, congas, bongos, guiro, percussion); Orlando "Maraca" Valle (flute); Yosvany Terry Cabrera (saxophone, alto saxophone); Leonardo Castellini Nardy (tenor saxophone); Javier Salvas, Javier Zalba (baritone saxophone); Luis Alema¤y, Jr., Luis Alema¤y (trumpet); Carlos Alvarez (trombone); Alfredo Rodriguez (piano); Carlos Godinez (bongos, claves, guiro, percussion); Julia Oviedo (bongos).
Recording information: EGREM Studios, Havana, Cuba (05/1995).
Photographers: FPG International; John Fago.
Unknown Contributor Role: Tim Young .
Arranger: Jes£s Alema¤y.
Cubanismo! is a rollicking, entertaining collection of Cuban-inspired jazz recorded with pianist Alfredo Rodriguez and a host of Havana musicians. Jes£s Alema¤y sounds vigorous throughout the album, spurring his team of supporting musicians to great performances. It's an album that emphasizes the Latin rhythms of Latin jazz, not the jazz and it is all the stronger for it. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine