Bluegrass Mountain Style
by Various Artists
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$15.71 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.27 (13% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: April 9, 2002
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Rounder / Umgd
- 1.Let The Whole World Talk - The Johnson Mountain Boys
- 2.Old Home Place - J.D. Crowe & The New South
- 3.Cincinnati Rag - Jerry Douglas
- 4.My Sweet Love Ain't Around - The McCoury Brothers
- 5.Here Today And Gone Tomorrow - Hazel Dickens
- 6.Texas Barbeque - Bela Fleck
- 7.Lost And I'll Never Find The Way - Ricky Skaggs
- 8.Sweet Little Miss Blue Eyes - Here Today
- 9.John Hardy - Tony Rice
- 10.Crosseyed Cricket - Tony Trischka
- 11.Who's That Knockin' At My Door - The Dreadful Snakes
- 12.Your Letter's Overdue - Delia Bell & Bill Grant
- 13.Leather Britches - Sam Bush
- 14.Someone Play Dixie For Me - Dry Branch Fire Squad
- 15.Diamond Joe - Joe Val & The New England Bluegrass Boys
- 16.Whup Of Love, The - Andy Statman
- 17.Too Late To Cry - Alison Krauss
- 18.You Are The One - Jim & Jesse
- 19.Cherokee Maggie - Blaine Sprouse
- 20.Old Devil's Dream - Nashville Bluegrass Band
- 21.I'd Rather Be Alone - The Bluegrass Album Band
- 22.Rose Of My Heart - The Whitstein Brothers
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
BLUEGRASS MOUNTAIN STYLE was originally released as Rounder Bluegrass Vol. 3 in 1988 and MY SWEET LOVE AIN'T AROUND in 2001.
Includes liner notes by Rainer Maria Rilke.
Personnel: Pat Enright (vocals, tenor, guitar); Ricky Skaggs (vocals, tenor, mandolin, fiddle); Del McCoury, Dudley Connell, Jim McReynolds, Peter Rowan, Ron Thomason, Tony Rice (vocals, guitar); Herb Pedersen (vocals, banjo); Jesse McReynolds, Joe Val, Roland White (vocals, mandolin); Alison Krauss (vocals, fiddle); Delia Bell, Robert Whitstein, Hazel Dickens, Bill Grant, Jerry McCoury (vocals); Vince Gill (tenor, guitar); Alan O'Bryant (tenor, banjo); Doyle Lawson, Dave Edmundson (tenor, mandolin); Charles Whitstein (tenor); J.D. Crowe, B‚la Fleck (baritone, banjo); David Grisman (baritone, mandolin); Mary Jo Leet (baritone); John Hisey (bass voice, banjo); Russ Barenberg (guitar, acoustic guitar); David Parmley, Tommy Goldsmith, Lonnie Meeker, Dave Dillon, Norman Blake, Charlie Collins (guitar); Jerry Douglas (dobro); Sam Bush (banjo, mandolin, fiddle); Richard Underwood, Paul Silvius, Marc Pruett, Allen Shelton, Tony Trischka (banjo); Buck White (mandola, mandolin); David McLaughlin (mandolin, fiddle); Mike Compton, Andy Statman, Bob Applebaum (mandolin); Eddie Stubbs, Glen Duncan , Jim Buchanan, Stuart Duncan, Blaine Sprouse, Vassar Clements, Bobby Hicks (fiddle); Joseph Allen, Marty Confurius, Joey Allen (acoustic bass).
Liner Note Author: Rainer Maria Rilke.
Photographer: Marion Post Wolcott.
One of the great strengths of this bluegrass compilation is that, contrary to its title, it offers a very rich cross section of approaches to the tradition -- not only bluegrass mountain-style, but also bluegrass California-style, bluegrass urban-style, and bluegrass progressive-style. For the hardcore mountain stuff there are classic acid grass performances by the McCoury Brothers (whose rock-hard and piercing vocals on "My Sweet Love Ain't Around" constitute one of this album's highlights) and Ricky Skaggs (who delivers an absolutely slamming rendition of the high-lonesome classic "Lost and I'll Never Find the Way"). For a more urban sound you can skip over to mandolinist Andy Statman's swinging "The Whup of Love" or the late Joe Val's Boston-accented take on "Diamond Joe." California bluegrass legend Tony Rice depresses flatpickers everywhere with his fiery and headlong "John Hardy," and Tony Trischka continues his ongoing expansion of the bluegrass banjo vocabulary with his own composition entitled "Crosseyed Cricket," on which he moves easily between meat-and-potatoes Scrugs-style picking and complex melodic passages (B‚la Fleck does much the same thing on his own "Texas Barbecue," which also features some fine work using Keith tuners). And that only scratches the surface of this 22-track collection. Highly recommended. ~ Rick Anderson
Flatt & Scruggs / The Stanley BrothersFlatt & Scruggs at Carnegie Hall! [The Complete Concert]...
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Keep on Going: The Rebel & Melodeon Recordings (CD)
$15.08 Super Savings
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Fun: 43-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE