The Angels Are Singing: A Women's Bluegrass Gospel Collection
by Various Artists
Only 4 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: August 20, 2002
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Rounder / Umgd
- 1.Standing by the Bedside of a Neighbor - The Cox Family
- 2.My Warfare Will Soon Be Over - Ginny Hawker
- 3.Memories That Bless and Burn - Dry Branch Fire Squad
- 4.Count Your Blessings - Kathy Kallick / Laurie Lewis
- 5.Keep Your Feet on the Ground - Rhonda Vincent
- 6.Paul and Peter Walked - Claire Lynch
- 7.When I Get Home - Laurie Lewis
- 8.In My Time of Dying - Stevens Sisters
- 9.Faded Pressed Rose - Hazel Dickens
- 10.He Will Set Your Fields on Fire - Wilma Lee Cooper
- 11.Six Feet of Earth Makes Us All of One Size - Ola Belle Reed (previously unreleased)
- 12.Hewed out of the Mountain - Phyllis Boyens
- 13.Wayfaring Stranger - Wayfaring Strangers
- 14.Few More Years, A - Hazel Dickens / Alice Gerrard
- 15.Help Me Climb That Mountain - Lynn Morris
- 16.There Is a Reason - Alison Krauss / Union Station / Alison Krauss & Union Station
Full title: The Angels Are Singing: A Women's Bluegrass Gospel Collection.
Includes liner notes by Chris Skinker.
Personnel: Hazel Dickens (vocals, tenor); Ginny Hawker (vocals, baritone); Kathy Kallick, Lynn Morris, Ola Belle Reed, Stoney Cooper, Suzanne Thomas, Wilma Lee Cooper (vocals, guitar); Rhonda Vincent (vocals, mandolin); Laurie Lewis (vocals, fiddle); Alison Krauss (vocals, viola); Claire Lynch, L.E. White, Lucy Kaplansky, Alice Gerrard, Phyllis Boyens, April Stevens, Suzanne Cox, Carolee Cooper (vocals); Ron Block (tenor, guitar); Evelyn Cox, Carol Elizabeth Jones (tenor); Dan Tyminski (baritone, guitar); Douglas Stevens, Willard Cox (baritone); Jeff White, Ray Deaton, Todd Phillips, Tony Marcus (bass voice); Darrell Scott, David Grier, Dudley Connell, John McGann, Pete Kennedy, Jerry Shook, Bryan Sutton, Charles Sawtelle (guitar); Barry Bales (acoustic guitar, acoustic bass); Jerry Douglas , Rob Ickes (dobro); Richard Underwood, Craig Robert Smith, Stella Sutton, Marc Pruett, Alison Brown, Tony Trischka, Butch Robins (banjo); Andy Statman (mandolin, clarinet); David McLaughlin, Bill Carver, Adam Steffey, Ron Thomason, Sam Bush, Tim O'Brien, Tom Rozum, Barry Mitterhoff, Wayne Benson (mandolin); Matt Glaser (violin, viola); Eddie Stubbs, Glen Duncan , Ray Legere, Ron Stewart (fiddle); Bruce Barth (piano); Ronnie Simpkins (acoustic bass).
Liner Note Author: Chris Skinker.
Photographer: Rick Olivier.
Arrangers: Hazel Dickens; Alice Gerrard; Matt Glaser; Ola Belle Reed.
One of the primary distinguishing features of bluegrass music has always been the male voice -- the fierce and otherworldly falsetto of Bill Monroe was as important to the establishment of bluegrass as a musical genre as were his hard-driving mandolin and the fiery banjo picking of Earl Scruggs. But although women have traditionally been regarded as peripheral in the history of bluegrass music, there are many who have made significant contributions, and they have done so throughout the music's history. From the rough-hewn mountain laments of Hazel Dickens to the soulful smoothness of Alison Krauss, the distinctive sounds of women bluegrass singers have added a distinctive dimension to the music's development. This collection of bluegrass gospel songs features women singing in a wide variety of bluegrass styles: the Stevens Sisters contribute the dark and bluesy "In My Time of Dying," Claire Lynch gets funky on a modern gospel composition called "Paul and Peter Walked," and Ola Belle Reed delivers a chilling a cappella rendition of "Six Feet of Earth Makes Us All One Size." Rhonda Vincent and Kathy Kallick both perform driving and rootsy numbers, while the Cox Family's contribution is, as usual for them, both gorgeous and slightly strange. Strict traditionalists might be put off by a few of these selections (the clarinet intro on "The Wayfaring Stranger" is especially startling), but everything here is very much worth hearing. ~ Rick Anderson
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 11 ratings.
Based on 11 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Keep on Going: The Rebel & Melodeon Recordings (CD)
$12.57 Super Savings
Lonesome and Blue: The Complete County Recordings (CD)(2)
$12.57 Super Savings
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)(5)
$19.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 2 - Disc 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE