James Booker Resurrection of the Bayou Maharajah: Live at the Maple Leaf Bar
Only 4 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$14.85 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.13 (13% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: August 1, 1993
- Originally Released: 1993
- Label: Rounder / Umgd
Musician - 3/94, p.91"...listening to this album is like waking up with a hornet's nest in your head...an accurate depiction of Booker's virtuosity, a genius bordering on madness..."
- 1.Slow Down / Bony Maronie / Knock On Wood / I Heard It Through The Grapevine / Classified
- 2.Tico Tico / Papa Was A Rascal
- 3.Lawdy Miss Clawdy / Ballad At The Maple Leaf
- 4.Minute Waltz
- 5.All By Myself
- 6.Save Your Love For Me
- 7.Junco Partner
- 8.St. James Infirmary
- 10.Life / Wine Spo-Dee-O-Dee / It Should Have Been Me
- 11.Pop's Dilemma / Irene Goodnight
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Solo performer: James Booker (vocals, piano).
Recorded at the Maple Leaf Bar, New Orleans, Louisiana between 1977 & 1982. Includes liner notes by Earl King, Jeff Hannusch, Ricky Castrillo, Harry Connick Jr., Thorny Penfield, Michael Goodwin, Scott Billington and John Parsons.
Recorded at the historic Maple Leaf Bar in New Orleans, this live set finds legendary Crescent City pianist James Booker playing for his fans on his home turf. He's in excellent form. Like his musical ancestors Jelly Roll Morton, Tuts Washington, and Professor Longhair, Booker is steeped in both classical and blues-based traditions, drawing on ragtime and boogie-woogie styles with a rhythmically inventive and wildly improvisatory spirit.
The opening piece, a stomping medley of "Slow Down/Bony Maronie/Knock on Wood/I Heard it Through the Grapevine/Classified," showcases Booker's exuberant concert persona and his keening, soulful vocals, while the album's highlight is the medley "Tico Tico/Papa Was a Rascal," with its closing motif of ornamental classically influenced embellishments. Elsewhere, Booker performs New Orleans classics such as "St. James Infirmary," "Junco Partner," and the Fats Domino hit "All By Myself" with his own inimitable keyboard transformations. Booker's wide-ranging influences and styles, his astonishing piano skill, and his passion as a performer are all combined on RESURRECTION OF THE BAYOU MAHARAJAH.
Complete Pop Instrumental Hits of the Sixties, Volume 1:... (CD)
$29.59 Super Savings
A Celebration of New Orleans Music to Benefit the Musicares... (CD)
Spiders on the Keys: Live at the Maple Leaf Bar (CD)
$15.71 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 10 ratings.
Based on 10 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 60s - Groovy Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE