Cherish The Ladies Woman of the House
15 copies available
|You Save:||$1.70 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: September 27, 2005
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Rounder / Umgd
Dirty Linen - pp.57-58"This incarnation of the ensemble stands at the center of the establishment of Irish music showing us all how it's done without an overbearing bone in their bodies."
- 1.Reels: The Jolly Seven / The Rascal on the Haystack / Bonkers in Yonkers: The Jolly Seven / The Rascal On The Haystack / Bonkers In Yonkers
- 2.Sweet Thames Flow Softly
- 3.Jigs: Carolan's Favorite Jig / The Rakes of Cashel / Highland March in ...: Carolan's Favorite Jig / The Rakes Of Cashel / Highland March In Oscar & Malvina
- 4.Bogie's Bonnie Belle
- 5.Woman of the House Medley: The Fairy Queen / The Gooseberry ...: The Fairy Queen / The Gooseberry Bush / Paddy Kelly's / Woman Of The House
- 6.The Hills of New Zealand
- 7.Betsy Belle and Mary Gray
- 8.Fair and Tender Ladies
- 9.Slip Jigs: Paddy O' Snap / Robin Kelegher / The Cover of Cork: Paddy O' Snap / Robin Kellegher / The Cove Of Cork
- 10.The Green Fields of Canada
- 11.Reels: The Old Maids of Galway / The Sunny Banks / The Flooded Road to ...: The Old Maids Of Galway / The Sunny Banks / The Flooded Road To Glenties / Free & Easy
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Cherish the Ladies: Mary Coogan (guitars); Joanie Madden (whistle, background vocals); Mirella Murray (accordion); Heidi Talbot, Roisin Dillon.
Personnel: Heidi Talbot, Karen Matheson, Kate Rusby (vocals); Joanie Madden (whistling, flute, alto flute); Mary Coogan (guitar, banjo, mandolin); Laoise Kelly (harp); Liz Kane, Roisin Dillon (fiddle); Mirella Murray, Sharon Shannon (accordion); Phil Cunningham (piano, keyboards); Donna Long, Tr¡ona N¡ Dhomhnaill (piano); Donald Shaw (Wurlitzer organ); Phil Bowler (upright bass); James MacIntosh (drums, percussion); John Joe Kelly (bodhran).
Additional personnel: Donna Long, Eddi Reader (vocals); Liz Kane (fiddle); Ewan Vernal (bass guitar); Donald Shaw, James MacIntosh, Karen Matheson, Kate Rusby, Laoise Kelly, Phil Bowler, Phil Cunningham, Sharon Shannon, Tr¡ona N¡ Dhomhnaill, John Joe Kelly.
Audio Mixer: Brian Masterson.
Liner Note Authors: Joanie Madden; Fiona Ritchie .
Recording information: CaVa Studios, Glasgow, Scotland.
Author: Scott Alarik.
Photographer: John J. Francis.
Arranger: Phil Cunningham.
Cherish the Ladies' tenth studio album is reliable without being redundant, soft without seeming slight, and as rollicking as it is sentimental. Joined by a small army of guests that read like Celtic and singer/songwriter royalty (Sharon Shannon/Triona Ni Dhomhnaill/Phil Cunningham/Kate Rusby/Eddi Reader), the Ladies have crafted a beautiful set that harks back to their 1992 debut. The impossibly lovely voice of Heidi Talbot -- it's like standing between Alison Krauss and Kirsty MacColl singing at the same time -- carries each ballad, both traditional ("Green Fields of Canada," "Bogie's Bonnie Belle") and contemporary ("Sweet Thames Flow Softly"), with such effortlessness that it's a wonder she even has to move her mouth, while the band makes high-octane instrumentals like "Jigs: Carolan's Favorite Jig/The Rakes of Cashel/Highland March in Oscar & Malvina" and the ferocious title track sound like the very forces of nature in human form. ~ James Christopher Monger
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 10 ratings.
Based on 10 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- King Curtis Enjoy Records - The Best of King Curtis (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE