The Great Escape
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$6.95 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$3.03 (30% Off)|
- 24 Minute In-Depth Making-Of Documentary
- Production Notes
- Original Theater Trailer
- Languages: English, French
- Subtitles: English, French, Spanish
- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 52 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 19, 2009
- Originally Released: 1963
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 2.35
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- Dolby Digital Mono - English, French
- Additional Release Material:
- Behind the Scenes:
- Production Notes
- Additional Text: Trivia
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Steve McQueen & James Garner|
|Performer:||James Coburn, Richard Attenborough, James Donald, Charles Bronson, Donald Pleasence, David McCallum, Gordon Jackson, John Leyton, Nigel Stock, Jud Taylor & Angus Lennie|
|Directed by||John Sturges|
|Edited by||Ferris Webster|
|Screenwriting by||W.R. Burnett & James Clavell|
|Composition by||Elmer Bernstein|
|Produced by||John Sturges|
|Director of Photography:||Daniel L. Fapp|
"...THE GREAT ESCAPE is the finest, all-out entertaining movie from that pot of World War Two, multi-star films..." -- 4 out of 5 stars
"[ESCAPE] features lush European landscapes, an infectious score, and McQueen's iconic motorcycle antics."
"[With] strong performances by actors as varied as Donald Pleasence and Charles Bronson..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
One of the most ingenious and suspenseful adventure films of all time, The Great Escape is a masterful collaboration between director John Sturges (The Magnificent Seven), screenwriters James Clavel (Shogun) and W.R. Burnett (Little Caesar) and composer Elmer Bernstein. Based on a true story, The Great Escape is epic entertainment that "entertains, captivates, thrills and stirs." (Variety).
The German high command has filtered out all of the allies' most talented escape artists and placed them in a POW camp specifically designed to foil any unwanted departures. But as soon as they arrive, the prisoners, led by Steve McQueen as the rebellious Virgil Hilts, begin work on a series of tunnels under the direction of Roger "Big X" Bartlett (Richard Attenborough). He assigns the POWs to jobs according to their specialties. For more than a year, 600 prisoners, most of whom won't be leaving, work toward an escape that will temporarily disrupt the operations of the German army. THE GREAT ESCAPE, based on the book by Paul Brickhill, featuring many key scenes (McQueen's motorcycle chase, McQueen tossing the baseball against the cell wall, Bronson sliding on his chest in the tunnel) that are simply unforgettable.
- Theatrical release: August 8, 1963.
- Shooting location: Bavaria, Germany.
- Donald Pleasence, the Forger, was an RAF wireless operator during the war, serving time in a German POW camp after his Lancaster was shot down.
- Walt Floody, the actual Tunnel King, was a technical adviser on the film.
- The famous barbed-wire scene that made Steve McQueen's career was done by his friend, stuntman Bud Elkins, with one of the Triumph 600s used in the film.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 276 ratings.
Top ranking titles in the War genre:
- WWII - Eagle Against the Sun: 10-Part Series of the War with Japan (2-DVD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Combat Classics - 50 Movie Pack (12-DVD) ~ $9.98 on SALE
- Benghazi Desert War: The Fighting Rats of Tobruk / Desert Victory (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- WWII - D-Day: The Invasion - March to Victory (DVD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- WWI - World War I: A Lost Generation (DVD) ~ $1.98 on SALE