Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 4 hours, 44 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: November 1, 2011
- Originally Released: 1925
- Label: Image Entertainment
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Interview with Composer Gabriel Thibaudeau
- Still Gallery
- Film script
- Original theatrical trailer
- Theatrical souvenir program reproduction
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.37
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Entertainment Weekly - 10/27/1995
"...Shivers still crawl up spines." -- Rating: A
Total Film - 02/01/2012
4 stars out of 5 -- "[Chaney] imbues this character with bravado and menace..."
Sight and Sound - 03/01/2012
"One of the great blood-and-thunder silent horror melodramas, THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA remains rollicking entertainment to this day..."
Lon Chaney, "Man of a Thousand Faces," stars in this silent horror classic. In the film, based on Gaston Leroux's timeless novel, a disfigured, catacomb-dwelling musician (Chaney) terrorizes the Paris Opera House while attempting to turn a pretty chorus girl (Mary Philbin) into a star.
The Phantom lives deep in the recesses of the Paris Opera House, well hidden from cruel and prying eyes. But when he falls in love with the beauteous Christine Dane, he becomes aware of his intense loneliness; in desperation, the Phantom kidnaps his love and carries her back to his secret lair. Assuring Christine that he will never harm her, he asks only one thing: that she never remove his mask.
- THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA was added to the Library of Congress National Film Registry in 1998.