- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 2 hours
- Video: Color
- Released: March 20, 2012
- Originally Released: 1994
- Label: Warner Archives
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Description by OLDIES.com:
In this tense, explosive thriller, Frank Langella is Gerald Bull, a scientist and arms specialist with one obsession: building the world's most powerful weapon. He doesn't care who pays for it. He doesn't care who uses it. All he wants is to see his masterpiece created. Bull soon finds a customer for his Supergun: Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein. But in order to avoid the arms embargo in operation against Iraq, he orders parts from factories around the world and organizes teams of engineers in secret locations. As Bull designs and builds his dream, the world watches. American CIA agents (Kevin Spacey and Tony Goldwyn) are following his every move, while the British Secret Service (James Fox and Rupert Graves) keep a close eye on events, yet no one seems prepared to stop Bull's insane plan. Now a brilliant inventor and his deadly machine are caught in a tangled web on international intrigue. Only a lonely Israeli spy (Alan Arkin) seems willing to do whatever it takes to prevent the destructive force of this devastating Supergun from being unleashed upon the world... but time is running out.
A brilliant arms specialist is driven to create the world's most powerful weapon, a "Supergun," to sell to Saddam Hussein. Both the CIA and the British Secret Service are out to foil the scientist's attempt, but a lone Israeli spy may be the only one able to stop it in time. Based on a true story.
Based on the life of Dr. Gerald V. Bull, a weapons manufacturer and arms smuggler who fell victim to an assassin's bullet. Set just prior to Desert Storm, when Iraq was in the midst of a war with Iran, "Doomsday Gun" relates Bull's quest to produce the ultimate long-range missile for Saddam Hussein -- despite the attempts of both the American and Israeli Secret Service to stop him.
Theatrical Release |
- The film was produced for HBO Showcase, and first aired on July 23, 1994.
- Additional production company: Griffin Productions.
- Dr. Gerald Bull, the arms manufacturer on whose life this teleplay was based, was fatally shot in his apartment in Brussels, Belgium on March 22, 1990. The killer remains at large. Bull was the inventor of the HARP missile, an extremely long-range cannon capable of hitting a target over 100 miles away, and developed arms for countries such as Chile (under Pinochet's military government) and South Africa (prior to the lifting of the UN embargo).
- Copyright 1994 Home Box Office.
This product is made-on-demand by the manufacturer using DVD-R recordable media.
Almost all DVD players can play DVD-Rs (except for some older models made before 2000) -
please consult your owner's manual for formats compatible with your player.
These DVD-Rs may not play on all computers or DVD player/recorders.
To address this, the manufacturer recommends viewing this product on a DVD player
that does not have recording capability.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 19 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 70,513
- UPC: 883316444412
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item