|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
Available in a set:
- Hollywood's Leading Men (6-DVD) ~ $9.98 (Save 75%)
- Hollywood's Leading Men Collection (4-DVD Leather Box Set) ~ $4.98 (Save 83%)
- From a novel by Georges De La Fouchardire
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 43 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: February 19, 2002
- Originally Released: 1945
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Edward G. Robinson|
|Performer:||Joan Bennett, Dan Duryea, Rosalind Ivan, Jess Barker, Arthur Loft, Samuel S. Hinds & Margaret Lindsay|
|Directed by||Fritz Lang|
|Edited by||Arthur Hilton|
|Screenwriting by||Dudley Nichols|
|Art Direction by||Alexander Golitzen & John B. Goodman|
|Produced by||Fritz Lang|
|Director of Photography:||Milton Krasner|
"[Bennett] throws herself into the role with gusto and a delectable, unsentimental slyness that's perfectly matched by Lang's mordant pessimism."
Description by OLDIES.com:
Fritz Lang's brilliant direction provides an unflinching look at Chris' unraveling, while touching on complex themes like art and the artist and the corruption of the wealthy. This richly nuanced film is one you will return to for repeated viewings.
- Theatrical release: December 28, 1945.
- SCARLET STREETwas filmed in Los Angeles in 1945.
- SCARLET STREET was the first film in the partnership between Lang, leading lady Joan Bennet and her husband , producer Walter Wagner.
- Fritz Lang's SCARLET STREET has the same leading actors as his 1941 film, THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 90 ratings.
This is a top flight noir classic. A great cast do a superb job, telling a story about an older man, in love with a younger and highly immoral woman, for whom he would do anything - inclduing steal. Finally realing he's being had, the older man (Edward G Robinson) strikes out and...losses everything. Robinson, Joan Bennett, and Dan Duryea gives stellar performances.
The image of a homeless EG Robinson walking down a busy New York street, haunted by the voices of Johnny and "Lazy Legs" should be considered one of the greatest moments ever captured, on film.
Robinson is the perfect "timid nice guy" who works at the same job for 20 years, has an overbearing wife and who is primed and ready for his mid-life crisis, brought on by a chance encounter with Joan Bennett. He tells some "harmless" little lies about being a painter and the scheming Bennett and her boyfriend decide there must be something in it, for them. Robinson then spirals out of control, as he throws away everything he has for the ability to chase his dreams (his painting and the love of this beautiful young girl). That spiral never ends as Lang takes this sweet little man on a ride, straight to hell.
Joan Bennett is sexy, cool and unforgettable, as Kathy.
"Scarlet Street" is a must for every film lover's collection.
Intriguing tale of deception done on an A budget. Good performances by Robinson, Bennett (although I like her better in good-girl roles) and others help satisfactory tale along. Good print from Alpha!
This movie is good on many levels. It's a great film noir. It's sytle is is subtle and engaging, unconventional and spellbinding. Edward G. is definitely not the tough guy in this one. He's a henpecked milquetoast. And Joan Bennet as the heartless strumpet is priceless. If you're into feet fetish, you'll love the toenail painting scene!
This is a very good movie - we enjoyed it! It is a little gory - it actually kept us entertained and in suspense throughout the movie!
- Sales Rank: 10,676
- UPC: 089218310194
- Shipping Weight: 0.27/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
Alpha Video Labels:
- Ace of Clubs (1925) / Another Man's Boots (1922) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces and Eights (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces Wild / Wild Mustang (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Art Acord Double Feature: Fighters of the Saddle (Silent) / Pursued (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the Plains (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
© 2016 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.