Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 53 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: October 25, 2011
- Originally Released: 1974
- Label: Lions Gate
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Audio commentary with Francis Ford Coppola
- Audio Commentary with Editor Walter Murch
- Never-Before-Seen Interview with Francis Ford Coppola and Composer David Shire
- Never-Before-Seen Archival Screen tests
- Never-Before-Heard Archival audio of Francis Ford Coppola dictating the original script
- Never-Before-Seen Discussion with Francis Ford Coppola about his early film exercise, "No Cigar"
- "Close-up on The Conversation" featurette
- Archival on-set interview with Gene Hackman
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.78
- DTS HD Master Audio - English
- Subtitles - English, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"I'm not afraid of death, but I am afraid of murder."
- Harry Caul (Gene Hackman)
"I'm not following you, I'm looking for you. There's a big difference."
- Martin Stett (Harrison Ford) to Caul
"There's no moment between human beings that I cannot record."
- Bernie Moran (Allen Garfield)
Cannes 1974 -
Entertainment Weekly - 01/05/2001
"...Subdued, wrenching, beautifully calibrated....Thrillingly uncompromised..." -- Rating: A
Chicago Sun-Times - 02/04/2001
"...A taut, intelligent thriller..."
USA Today - 12/15/2000
"...Too few movie lovers have seen Francis Ford Coppola's cult masterpiece THE CONVERSATION..."
Total Film - 12/01/2003
"...Coppola's spare thriller works as a brilliant deconstruction of the medium..."
Uncut - 01/01/2005
"Francis Ford Coppola's conspiracy thriller stands up well 30 years on."
Wall Street Journal - 06/12/2009
"Gene Hackman gives a perfect performance as Harry Caul, a surveillance expert who stumbles on an ominous conversation that wasn't meant for his ears or anyone else's."
Sight and Sound - 02/01/2012
"Hackman's intensely withdrawn performance, the hardest kind for a leading actor to bring off...comes to animated and enthusiastic life when Caul is discussing technology and technique..."
Essential Cinema |
Theatrical Release |
- Theatrical release: April 7, 1974
- Shot on location in San Francisco, California.
- THE CONVERSATION was made by Francis Ford Coppola in the time between THE GODFATHER and THE GODFATHER PART II.
- The film was written over five years before production began.
- Tony Scott's 1998 film, ENEMY OF THE STATE, makes numerous references to THE CONVERSATION. Gene Hackman's character in Scott's film, Brill, is essentially an extension of Harry Caul character.
- THE CONVERSATION was added to the Library of Congress National Film Registry in 1995.
- In 1975, Coppola became the first person to ever receive two Oscar nominations for Best Director in the same year (the other film being THE GODFATHER PART II).