Isaac Hayes Essential Albums: Hot Buttered Soul / Black Moses / Shaft (4-CD)
- Number of Discs: 4
- Released: November 1, 2011
- Originally Released: 2011
- Label: Stax
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Walk On By
- 3.One Woman
- 4.By the Time I Get To Phoenix
- 5.Walk On By [Single Edit] [Edit]
- 6.By the Time I Get To Phoenix [Single Edit] [Edit]
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Never Can Say Goodbye
- 2.(They Long To Be) Close To You
- 3.Nothing Takes the Place of You
- 4.Man's Temptation
- 5.Part Time Love
- 6.Medley: Ike's Rap Iv / a Brand New Me
- 7.Going In Circles
Tracks on Disc 3:
- 1.Never Gonna Give You Up
- 2.Medley: Ike's Rap Ii / Help Me Love
- 3.Need To Belong To Someone
- 4.Good Love
- 5.Medley: Ike's Rap Iii / Your Love is So Doggone Good
- 6.For the Good Times
- 7.I'll Never Fall In Love Again
Tracks on Disc 4:
- 1.Theme From Shaft
- 2.Bumpy's Lament
- 3.Walk From Regio's
- 4.Ellie's Love Theme
- 5.Shaft's Cab Ride
- 6.Cafe Regio's
- 7.Early Sunday Morning
- 8.Be Yourself
- 9.A Friend's Place
- 11.No Name Bar
- 12.Bumpy's Blues
- 13.Shaft Strikes Again
- 14.Do Your Thing
- 15.The End Theme
- 16.Theme From Shaft [2009 Mix]
Personnel: Isaac Hayes (vocals, piano, electric piano, organ); Charles "Skip" Pitts (guitar, guitars); Michael Toles (guitar); Sidney Kirk (piano); Lester Snell (electric piano); Willie Hall (drums, tambourine); Gary Jones (congas, bongos); Ronald Hudson.
Audio Remasterer: Bob Fisher .
Audio Remixers: Dave Purple; Russ Terrana Jr.; Ron Capone.
Liner Note Authors: Chester Higgins; Jim James; Bill Dahl; Ashley Kahn.
Editor: Daryl Williams.
Photographers: Joel Brodsky; Bob Smith.
Arrangers: Dale Warren; Isaac Hayes; Johnny Allen; Pat Lewis.
Essential Albums, released in 2011, compiles the Stax label's remastered/expanded versions of Hot Buttered Soul (1969), Shaft (1969), and the double-disc Black Moses (1971), all of which were released individually in 2009. The first two albums are as essential as late-'60s and early-'70s soul gets, while the sprawling Black Moses is pretty close to it. All three topped Billboard's R&B Albums chart and represent Hayes' most creative and finest album-length work. When the set -- a sturdy box holding the three individual releases, with flimsy stickers slapped onto it -- came out, it retailed for roughly the same cost as the sum of the three reissues. ~ Andy Kellman
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!