Mean Streets (Special Edition)
|You Save:||$10 (67% Off)|
- Commentary by Director Martin Scorsese
- Vintage Featurette: Martin Scorsese: Back On The Block
- Theatrical Trailer
- Subtitles: English, French, Spanish
- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 52 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 17, 2004
- Originally Released: 1973
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Snap Case
- Special Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Mono - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Featurette: "Back on the Block"
- Audio Commentary: Martin Scorsese
- Trailers: Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Robert De Niro & Harvey Keitel|
|Performer:||David Proval, Amy Robinson, Richard Romanus, Cesare Danova, Victor Argo & George Memmoli|
|Directed by||Martin Scorsese|
|Edited by||Sidney Levin|
|Screenplay by||Martin Scorsese & Mardik Martin|
|Story by||Martin Scorsese|
|Produced by||Jonathan Taplin|
|Director of Photography:||Kent Wakeford|
"...MEAN STREETS is a jazzy riff of a movie, zigging and zagging as if to the beat of snapping fingers....A modern American screen classic..."
"...It has an elemental power, a sense of spiraling doom, that a more polished film might have lacked....MEAN STREETS is one of the source points of modern movies..."
"...By turns thoughtful, disturbingly violent, and uproariously funny..."
"[With] inventive camerawork...[and] inspired use of music....Essential."
"Scorsese's breakthrough feature fizzes with energy....The director brilliantly unleashes a host of techniques and cinematic references..."
"Scorsese adrenalizes the film with mad bursts of violence, dizzying camera flourishes, and the sinister sound of the Stones blaring from the jukebox."
"This is the wellspring of Martin Scorsese's career. Every potent element of his art flowed from it..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
Harvey Keitel plays Charlie, working his way up the ranks of a local mob. Amy Robinson is Teresa, the girlfriend his family deems unsuitable because of her epilepsy. And in the star making role that won Best Supporting Actor Awards from New York and National Society of Film Critics, De Niro is Johnny Boy, a small-time gambler in big-time debt to loan sharks.
MEAN STREETS is the film in which Scorsese blossomed into one of the world's most ferociously distinct visionaries, a vision which has, for better or worse, become one of the most mimicked in the history of modern cinema. While his usage of a nostalgic pop music soundtrack, long one-takes and handheld cameras, and brutally realistic performances, spawned a generation of imitators, MEAN STREETS proves that while others may try to imitate, there is only one original. MEAN STREETS is a work of sheer cinematic bravado.
- Theatrical release: October 2, 1973
- Shot on location in New York City.
- MEAN STREETS was added to the Library of Congress National Film Registry in 1997.
- De Niro's performance as the out-of-control Johnny Boy earned him awards from the New York and National Society of Film Critics.
- Much like Scorsese's earlier WHO'S THAT KNOCKING AT MY DOOR', MEAN STREETS is a deeply personal film that deals with issues Scorsese himself had seen and experienced while growing up in New York City.
- Part of the film was shot in the cemetery of St. Patrick's Cathedral in Manhattan's Chinatown, where Scorsese had been an altar boy as a youth.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 116 ratings.
- Sales Rank: 12,987
- UPC: 085391912729
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Dramas Movie Categories:
- Wu-Tang Clan Rock the Bells (DVD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
11:14 (DVD) ~
$5.21 Super Savings
12 Angry Men (50th Anniversary Edition) (DVD) ~
$10.84 Super Savings
The 12 Dogs of Christmas (DVD) ~
$7.63 Super Savings
15 (DVD) ~
$14.27 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Drama genre:
- Our Lady of Fatima (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- They Made Me a Criminal / Lady Gangster (DVD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Ecstasy (DVD-R) ~ $10.98 on SALE
- Officer O'Brien (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Rutger Hauer Double Feature: Beyond Justice / Escape from Sobibor (DVD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
© 2016 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.