Erykah Badu Worlwide Underground
Only 9 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$6.92 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.07 (23% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: September 16, 2003
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Motown
Entertainment Weekly - 9/19/03, p.86"Forget comparisons to Billie or Chaka--that craggy-yet-smooth croon is Erykah's own..." - Rating: B+
Uncut - 1/04, p.1033 stars out of 5 - "'Bump It' and 'I Want You' are horizontal synth-funk jams, with an enchantingly drowsy Badu scatting over the top....Frequently intoxicating."
Mojo (Publisher) - 12/03, p.1094 stars out of 5 - "[A]n astonishing album that, while paying its dues to the soul stars of the past, marries hip hop with a subtle lightness of touch and a soothing vocal to create a nu soul master..."
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Erykah Badu, Stic Man (vocals); Queen Latifah, Angie Stone, Bahamadiah (rap vocals); Lenny Kravitz (electric guitar); Dwayne Kerr (flute); Roy Hargrove (trumpet, background vocals); James Poyser (keyboards, programming); R.C. Williams (keyboards); Braylon Lacy (bass); Doc Gibbs (percussion); Rashad Smith, Dead Prez (programming); Zap Mama, Karon Wheeler, China Blac, Robert Pack, Sam Bell, Jazz Bell (background vocals).
Producers: Erykah Badu, James Poyser, Rashad Smith, Dead Prez.
WORLD WIDE UNDERGROUND was nominated for the 2004 Grammy Award for Best R&B Album. "Back In The Day" was nominated for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance. "Danger" was nominated for Best Urban/Alternative Performance and for Best R&B Song.
Despite being classified as an EP, the near 50-minute length of WORLD WIDE UNDERGROUND makes it closer to being Erykah Badu's fourth full-length outing. Inspired by the Frustrated Artist Tour that found this Texan crisscrossing the world in 2002, Badu uses a very groove-oriented and loosely defined approach towards these songs, thanks to the collaborative skills of her fellow members in the Freakquency team--James Poyser, Rashad "Ringo" Smith, and RC Williams.
The results range from the light and sensual flow of "Back in the Day," (featuring some crisp guitar licks by Lenny Kravitz) to "Bump It" with its mix of sprinkled in hip-hop beats, lightly layered synths, and a sweet mix of harmonies by Zap Mama and Karon Wheeler. Along the way, Badu must have been digging in the crates for inspiration, because she includes a hypnotic take on Donald Byrd's 1975 recording "Think Twice" (featuring tasty playing by trumpeter Roy Hargrove). Badu also serves up a remix of the Grammy-winning "Love of My Life Worldwide," built on the foundation of Sequence's 1979 hit "Funk You Up," which features cameos by Queen Latifah, Bahamadia, Badu alter-ego MC Apples, and Angie Stone (the original Angie B of Sequence).
Jerry ButlerThe Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD)
$7.79 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 222 ratings.
Based on 222 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Russell Simmons Presents Def Poetry - Season 2 (DVD)(11)
$4.98 on SALE
Top ranking titles in the R&B / Soul genre:
- Ike & Tina Turner Golden Classics (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 1 (2-CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 4 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Ernestine Anderson New Sound Of (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Del Vikings 1956 Audition Tapes (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Skeeter Davis Blueberry Hill / The End of The World (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE