- Subtitles: English, Spanish
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 56 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: September 6, 2005
- Originally Released: 1962
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 2.35
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- Closed Captioned - English
- Mono - English, Spanish, French
- Stereo - English, Spanish
- Subtitles - English, Spanish - Optional
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Description by OLDIES.com:
When world-weary St. Louis banker and father Roger Hobbs (James Stewart) suggests to his wife (Maureen O'Hara) that the two of them enjoy a quiet vacation at the beach, she thinks a family reunion is a better idea. So they compromise - and no less than ten family members show up on their not-so-romantic getaway! From antiquated plumbing in the rental house to feuds between their married daughter and her husband to out-of-control kids and crazed teenage love, it begins to seem to Hobbs that getting back to the daily grind might bring relief from this "vacation."
Before National Lampoon was even invented, dream vacations were going awry -- here, a burned-out banker's beach rental features bizarre neighbors, children gone wild, and busted plumbing. Based on the novel by Edward Streeter.
Thanks to his family, Mr. Hobbs's life is about to get a lot more irritating.
His insistent wife, Peggy, convinces the fussy Midwest banker to pack up the kids and head for the Pacific shore for a summer vacation. In addition to their four children, the Hobbses also bring along their two married daughters' husbands and two grandchildren.
They arrive at a spooky cottage equipped with a mousetrap-like water pump. Then things turn worse. One daughter's egghead spouse splits. The other's horny hubby starts flirting with a babe on the beach. The youngest daughter has an inferiority complex due to her braces, and Hobbs' son thinks Dad's a dork.
Eventually Hobbs quits complaining about his clan and realizes Peggy's homilies about familial togetherness actually make sense.
Based On A Novel |
Family Interaction |
- Fabian performs one song in this film, "Cream Puff."
- Additional cast: Lauri Peters (Katey); Valerie Varda (Marika); Lili Gentle (Janie); Josh Peine (Stan); Richard Collier (Mr. Kagle); Peter Oliphant (Peter Carver); Stephen Mines (Carl); Dennis Whitecomb (Dick); and Michael Sean (Phil).
- Color by DeLuxe.