Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 2 hours, 8 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: October 18, 2011
- Originally Released: 1991
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: The making of Cape Fear
- Deleted scenes
- Behind the scenes of the fourth of July parade
- On the set of the houseboat
- Photo montage
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- DTS - English, French
- DTS HD Master Audio - English, French
- Subtitles - Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"Come out, come out, wherever you are."
- Max Cady (Robert De Niro), to a hiding Sam Bowden (Nick Nolte)
Rolling Stone - 11/28/1991
"...Nolte acts with blistering energy, and Lange is in top feral form..."
Sight and Sound - 03/01/1992
"...Scorsese's CAPE FEAR defies thresholds, revelling in its own transgressiveness, using punchy visuals, fast cuts and a pounding soundtrack..."
Los Angeles Times - 11/13/1991
"...We squirm, we squeal, we squeak for mercy as Scorsese and company wring us out like an old washcloth..."
Total Film - 12/01/2011
4 stars out of 5 -- "It replaces the good vs evil set-up with endless shades of grey..."
CAPE FEAR is an extremely tense remake of the riveting 1962 thriller. This time Sam Bowden is not such a good guy and his family is rather dysfunctional--but there's no moral ambiguity in the purely evil Max Cady as he circles in for the kill. Martin Scorsese creates a world in which a man who withheld information for the benefit of society ends up suffering the moral consequences. Robert De Niro and Juliette Lewis deliver stunning performances as the hunter and hunted, respectively.
Family Interaction |
Theatrical Release |
- Theatrical release: November 1991.
- Filmed on location in Florida.
- Wesley Stick based his screenplay on James R. Webb's script for the original CAPE FEAR, which was in turn was based on John C. MacDonald's serialized novel THE EXECUTIONER.
- Originally, Steven Spielberg was set to direct, but he turned the project over to Scorsese instead.