Dave Godin's Deep Soul Treasures: Taken From Our Vaults, Volume 1
by Various Artists
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$12.35 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.64 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: May 20, 1997
- Label: Kent Records Uk
- 1.I'm Never Gonna Live It Down - The Knight Brothers
- 2.Easy As Saying 1, 2, 3 - Timmy Willis
- 3.Lights Out - Zerben R Hicks & The Dynamics
- 4.Anyone Who Knows What Love Is (Will Understand) - Irma Thomas
- 5.Have A Little Mercy - Jean Wells
- 6.Try Love - Dori Grayson
- 7.I Can't Make It Without Him - Brendetta Davis
- 8.Showdown - Kenny Carter
- 9.I'm Not The One - Larry Banks
- 10.Turning Point, The - Jimmy Holiday
- 11.Standing Here Crying - The Incredibles
- 12.She Broke His Heart - The Just Brothers
- 13.You're On Top - The Untouchables
- 14.It's Not That Easy - Reuben Bell & The Casanovas
- 15.Cry Baby Cry - Van & Titus
- 16.I Still Love You - Jean Stanback
- 17.Try To Leave Me If You Can (I Bet You Can't Do It) - Bessie Banks
- 18.Songs To Sing - Raw Spitt
- 19.How Much Longer (Must I Wait) - Lee Moses
- 20.Nothing's Too Much (Nothing's Too Good) - Billy Young
- 21.I Feel Like Cryin' - Sam & Bill
- 22.I'm Goin' For Myself - Eddie & Ernie
- 23.Tried So Hard To Please Her - The Knight Brothers
- 24.Love Of My Man, The - Pearlean Gray & The Passengers
- 25.You Got Me - Jaibi
It's hard enough to define a term like soul without attempting to dissect its sub-genres. Suffice to say that whereas Northern soul aims to set feet dancing, deep soul goes straight for the heart. The recordings on this sequel to Dave Godin's widely praised first volume share a depth of emotion and a sincerity that has long made them collectors' items amongst the cognoscenti. Deep-soul knows no boundaries--Bessie Banks' "Go Now" has been retrieved from the generally uptown catalogue of Leiber & Stoller--but a lot of its exponents came from the Southern states and certain local producers (Jerry Williams Jr) and labels (SSS International, Ronn) are sure signs of quality.
Dave Godin is not above including some big names. Deep-soul gems from Otis Redding, Ben E. King, and the peerless Irma Thomas rub shoulders with one-offs like Toussaint McCall's magnificent "Nothing Takes the Place of You." Dave Godin writes lucidly about each selection and his stated belief that overlooked cultural artifacts will one day achieve recognition and enrich our lives is deeply admirable.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 9 ratings.
Based on 9 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!