Doris Duke I'm a Loser [The Swamp Dogg Sessions... And More]
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$12.35 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.64 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: February 28, 2005
- Label: Kent Records Uk
Uncut - p.1304 stars out of 5 - "[A]rguably the finest soul concept album ever..."
Mojo (Publisher) - p.1184 stars out of 5 - "[H]er greatest solo achievement....[With] fantastic performances..."
Record Collector (magazine) - p.1005 stars out of 5 -- "[T]his often heart-rending performance is both touching and tragic....An exhausting, momentous feat of soul projection."
- 1.He's Gone
- 2.I Can't Do Without You
- 3.Feet Start Walking
- 4.Ghost of Myself
- 5.Your Best Friend
- 6.The Feeling Is Right
- 7.I Don't Care Anymore
- 8.Congratulations Baby
- 9.We're More Than Strangers
- 10.Divorce Decree
- 11.How Was I to Know You Cared
- 12.To the Other Woman (I'm the Other Woman)
- 13.I Wish I Could Sleep
- 14.It Sure Was Fun
- 15.I Don't Know How (To Fall Out of Love With You)
- 16.He's Everything I Need
- 17.I'd Do It All Over You
- 18.If She's Your Wife (Who Am I)
- 19.Since I Fell for You
- 20.Don't Let the Green Grass Fool You
- 21.Let Love Touch Us Now
- 22.Bad Water
- 23.By the Time I Get to Phoenix
- 24.Too Much to Bear - (previously unreleased, bonus track)
- 25.You Can't Do That - (bonus track)
- 26.Lost Again - (bonus track)
Liner Note Authors: Dave Godin; Tony Rounce.
For any fan of Southern soul or deep soul, this reissue of two of Doris Duke's most important albums, I'm a Loser from 1969 and A Legend in Her Own Time from 1971, is essential. In a lot of ways, I'm a Loser feels like the hidden blueprint for all the deep soul that followed. The vocals are cut free of the '60s pop aspirations of Motown and even their rougher Southern counterpart, Stax. They're earthy, gritty, and soulful and as close to the church as you can get without getting up Sunday morning. The music is simple, polished, and reserved, jumping into the spotlight only when necessary. Listen to the understated guitar solo on "Ghost of Myself" for proof. By 1969 standards, the lyrics are sobering in their candor and, considering that this is loosely a concept album about the darkest facets of love and secret relationships, quite relentless, too. Credit is due to legendary soul eccentric Swamp Dogg, who produced and wrote most of I'm a Loser and a good deal of the follow-up, A Legend in Her Own Time. Legend isn't as intense as its predecessor and really, how could it be? It's an excellent companion, though, and its lighter tone and punchy horn arrangements are a welcome reprieve from the weight of I'm a Loser. As with most of the output on Kent, the liner notes here are superb, including technical facts like chart position for singles, a great look at Duke and how she viewed her work from this time, and a record review from the late soul expert Dave Godin, who considered Loser to be "the best album I have ever heard." Three singles predating both albums from the tiny Jay Boy label are included as well. ~ Wade Kergan
Candi StatonEvidence: Complete Fame Records Masters (2-CD) [Import]
$20.69 on SALE
Super Duper Love: Mainstream Hits & Rarities 1973-76 (CD)
$12.35 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 9 ratings.
Based on 9 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
I'm the One Who Loves You: The Complete Volt Recordings (CD)
$12.35 Super Savings
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD)(2)
$2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 2 - Disc 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE