Michael Martin Murphey Ultimate Collection
Only 4 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$7.38 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.61 (18% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: October 2, 2001
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Hip-O Records
- 1.I Feel Good (I Feel Bad) - (with The Lewis & Clarke Expedition)
- 2.Geronimo's Cadillac
- 3.Natchez Trail
- 4.Calico Silver
- 5.Harbor For My Soul
- 6.Boy From The Country
- 7.What Am I Doing Hangin' 'Round?
- 8.Backsliders Wine
- 9.Drunken Lady Of The Morning
- 10.Cosmic Cowboy (Part 1)
- 12.Carolina In The Pines
- 13.Cherokee Fiddle
- 14.Swans Against The Sun
- 16.What's Forever For?
- 17.Still Taking Chances
- 18.Will It Be Love By Morning
- 19.Long Line Of Love
- 20.From The Word Go
- 21.I'm Gonna Miss You, Girl
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Producers include: Jack Keller, Bob Johnston, Jim Ed Norman, Steve Gibson.
Compilation producer: Mike Ragogna.
Recorded between 1967 and 1987. Includes liner notes by Robyn Flans.
Digitally remastered by Doug Schwartz (Audio Mechanics, Hollywood, California).
Liner Note Author: Robyn Flans.
Michael Martin Murphey presents great challenges to anyone trying to construct a one-disc compilation of his work. For one thing, he has recorded for several record companies, all of which have catalogs now controlled by different major labels: A&M (Universal) 1972-1973; Epic (Sony), 1973-1981; Liberty (EMI), 1982-1983; and Warner Bros. (Warner) (1986-1997). (He has recorded independently since 1998.) For another, he has had at least three different careers, one in the 1970s as a pop singer/songwriter, another in the 1980s as a country singer, and a third as a Western artist. The least likely label to assemble a compilation would seem to be Universal, which possesses only two of his albums. But Hip-O, Universal's reissue arm, is nothing if not ambitious, and so we have this Ultimate Collection. You've got to admit that they've made an effort. No less than 12 of the 79-minute disc's 21 tracks have been licensed from other labels, including the major pop hit "Wildfire" and the number one country hits "What's Forever For?" and "A Long Line of Love." They've even dug up "I Feel Good (I Feel Bad)," the 1967 chart single by Murphey's early group, the Lewis & Clark Expedition. That said, the disc will not entirely satisfy any of Murphey's constituencies. Necessarily, there is a focus on his early solo work, with seven tracks drawn from A&M's Geronimo's Cadillac, while the rest of his career is presented very selectively. Only five tracks cover the Epic years, Murphey's peak as a singer/songwriter, and his period as a mouthpiece for Nashville songwriters is represented by only his biggest country hits. But as of the appearance of this set, neither Epic nor Warner Bros. had bothered to issue a Murphey best-of, which makes this miscast but well-intended effort by far the best Murphey collection ever released. ~ William Ruhlmann
Top of The Pop Hits - The 80s (6-CD Box Set / Cardboard...
Out of PrintSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 11 ratings.
Based on 11 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Various Artists Southern Nights: Classic Country Crossovers (2CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Roots (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Nitty Gritty Dirt Band Buy For Me The Rain / Dance Little Jean (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Classic Rock (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Afternoon Delight: 70's Romance (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- The Duprees For Collectors Only: 47-Song Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Soft Rock 70'S (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE