Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale (series)
- Released: April 14, 2009
- Originally Released: 2009
- Label: OJC
- 2.Makin' Whoopee
- 3.Body And Soul
- 4.Somebody Loves Me
- 5.Deep Purple
- 6.Hamp's Boogie Woogie [Live] - (live)
- 7.Ring Dem Bells [Live] - (live)
- 8.Flyin' Home [Live] - (live)
Personnel: Lionel Hampton (vibraphone); Barney Kessel (guitar); Buddy Tate (tenor saxophone); Clark Terry (trumpet, flugelhorn); Harry "Sweets" Edison (trumpet); Al Grey (trombone); Hank Jones Great Jazz Trio , Art Tatum (piano); Grady Tate, Buddy Rich (drums).
Liner Note Author: Ashley Kahn.
Recording information: Los Angeles, CA (08/01/1955-06/13/1991); The Blue Note, New York, NY (08/01/1955-06/13/1991).
Photographer: Rolf Ambor.
This 2009 installment in the excellent CENTENNIAL CELEBRATION jazz series shines the spotlight on pioneering vibes player Lionel Hampton. A majority of the tracks on the collection, including an elegant rendition of "Body and Soul," are drawn from a 1950s session with pianist Art Tatum that also features drum legend Buddy Rich, guitarist Barney Kessel, and other luminaries. A last few songs on CENTENNIAL are from a much later date featuring pianist Hank Jones and bassist Milt Hinton, among others, with a 10-minute version of Hamp's signature number, "Flyin' Home," standing out as one of the compilation's best moments.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 53,405
- UPC: 888072313040
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Top ranking titles in the Jazz genre:
- Herbie Hancock Possibilities (DVD + Music CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Duke Ellington Swinging at His Best (DVD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Yusef Lateef Meditations (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Louis Armstrong The Early Years, Recorded Live 1938-1949 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE