The Showdown: The Sugarhill Gang vs. Grandmaster Flash
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- by Kurtis Blow ~ The Best of Kurtis Blow ~ $9.89
- by The Sugarhill Gang ~ The Best of Sugarhill Gang [Rhino] ~ $13.57
- by Run-DMC ~ Greatest Hits ~ $7.18
- by Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock ~ It Takes Two ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- by Grandmaster Flash ~ Message from Beat Street: The Best of Melle Mel & the Furious Five ~ $13.25
- Released: February 2, 1999
- Label: Rhino
- 1.Ice-T & Chuck D Introduction / Pre-Game Show - The Sugarhill Gang
- 2.Rapper's Delight - The Sugarhill Gang
- 3.Message, The - Duke Bootee / Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five / Grandmaster Melle Mel / Grandmaster Flash / The Sugarhill Gang
- 4.Round One Wrap-Up - The Sugarhill Gang
- 5.8th Wonder - The Sugarhill Gang
- 6.Scorpio - Grandmaster Flash
- 7.Round Two Wrap-Up - The Sugarhill Gang
- 8.Kick It Live from 9 to 5 - The Sugarhill Gang
- 9.New York New York - Grandmaster Flash
- 10.Round Three Wrap-Up - The Sugarhill Gang
- 11.Livin' in the Fast Lane - The Sugarhill Gang
- 12.Jesse - Grandmaster Flash
- 13.Round Four Wrap-Up - The Sugarhill Gang
- 14.Apache - The Sugarhill Gang
- 15.White Lines (Don't Don't Do It) - Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five
- 16.Round Five Wrap-Up - The Sugarhill Gang
- 17.Showdown - Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five / The Sugarhill Gang / The Furious Five Meets The Sugarhill Gang / Grandmaster Flash
- 18.One for the $ - Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five (previously unreleased)
- 19.Post-Game Show - The Sugarhill Gang
Full performer name: The Sugarhill Gang/Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five.
Compilation producers: Shawn Amos, David McLees.
Digitally remastered by Chris Clarke & Dan Hersch (DigiPrep).
Audio Remasterers: Chris Clarke; Dan Hersch.
Photographer: Hugh Brown .
On paper, The Showdown: The Sugarhill Gang vs. Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five seems like a good idea. Take two of the greatest old-school hip-hop groups, pair off six of their best tracks each, offer commentary and insight from Chuck D and Ice-T, and then see who wins. It's a cute, clever idea, but halfway through the album, it becomes tiring -- you no longer find the "boxing match" amusing, you just want to hear the music, especially since the music is so good. Of course, it's possible to program around the sketches, and then you'll just have a really good collection (including a previously unreleased cut from the Sugarhill Gang, "One for the $"), but most listeners will be happier with collections devoted to either artist. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine
Rapper's Delight And Other Old School Favorites (CD)
$7.18 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 7 ratings.
Based on 7 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE