The Pogues If I Should Fall From Grace With God: Expanded & Remastered
|You Save:||$1.80 (15% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by The Pogues ~ Hell's Ditch: Expanded & Remastered ~ $11.53
- by The Pogues ~ The Pogues in Paris: 30th Anniversary Concert (Live) (2-CD) ~ $18.07
- by The Pogues ~ Rum, Sodomy And The Lash (180GV) ~ $17.95
- by The Pogues ~ Rum, Sodomy, And The Lash: Expanded & Remastered ~ $10.78
- by The Pogues ~ The Very Best of the Pogues ~ $12.58
- Released: September 19, 2006
- Label: Rhino
Rolling Stone3.5 Stars - Very Good
Uncut - p.1584 stars out of 5 - "There's no doubting the vaulting musical ambition of their third album..."
Magnet - p.88"[T]he Pogues' most musically ambitious release....With multi-instrumentalists Jimmy Fearnley and newcomer Terry Woods propelling the [group]..."
Mojo (Publisher) - p.1235 stars out of 5 - "[A]n amazingly original, democratically written and ethnically adventurous album..."
- 1.If I Should Fall From Grace With God
- 2.Turkish Song of the Damned
- 3.Bottle of Smoke
- 4.Fairytale of New York
- 6.Thousands Are Sailing
- 8.The Recruiting Sergeant / The Rocky Road To Dublin / The Galway Races
- 9.Streets Of Sorrow / Birmingham Six
- 10.Lullaby of London
- 11.Sit Down by the Fire
- 12.The Broad Majestic Shannon
- 14.Battle March, The - (Bonus Track)
- 15.Irish Rover, The - (Bonus Track)
- 16.Mountain Dew - (Bonus Track)
- 17.Shanne Bradley - (Bonus Track)
- 18.Sketches of Spain - (Bonus Track)
- 19.South Australia - (Bonus Track)
The Pogues: Shane MacGowan (vocals, guitar); Philip Chevron (guitar, mandolin, background vocals); Jem Finer (banjo, mandola, saxophone); Terry Woods (guitar, mandola, tenor banjo, dulcimer, cittern, concertina); Spider Stacy (tin whistle, background vocals); James Fearnley (piano, accordion, mandola, dulcimer, percussion, cello); Darryl Hunt (bass, percussion, background vocals); Andrew Ranken (drums, percussion, harmonica, background vocals).
Additional personnel: Kirsty MacColl (vocals); Ron Kavana (mandolin, tenor banjo, spoons, background vocals); Siobhan Sheahan (harp); Brian Clarke (alto saxophone); Joe Cashman (tenor saxophone); Eli Thompson, Chris Lee (trumpet); Paul Taylor (trombone); Fran Byrne (bodhran); Brian Sheridan, John Lawler, Joe Cashman, Paul Verner, Steve Lillywhite, Frank Murray, Paul Scully (background vocals).
Engineers: Chris Dickie, Roy Spong, Nick Lacey.
The Pogues: James Fearnley, Jem Finer, Andrew Ranken, Philip Chevron, Shane MacGowan, Spider Stacy, Cait O'Riordan.
Additional personnel: Kirsty MacColl (vocals).
IF I SHOULD FALL FROM GRACE WITH GOD marked an apex for the Pogues--with producer Steve Lillywhite at the helm, their neo-traditional Irish songcraft was given a particularly timeless touch without compromising any of the band's trademark intensity. Adding yet another wrinkle of the Irish experience to his profound, intense lyrical oeuvre, Shane MacGowan touches on the Irish in New York, occasionally conjuring up reminders of George M. Cohan (who even gets name-checked here, on "Thousands Are Sailing"). "Metropolis" is a jazzy, brass-fueled instrumental, while the over-the-top sentimentality and swirling strings of "Fairy Tale of New York" made it an instant Christmas classic.
From the irreverent bravado of the opening title track straight through to the jokey, fatalistic closer, "Worms," IF I SHOULD FALL is a rollicking, sometimes brutally honest document, driven hard by the band's inspiringly tight, masterful playing and propelled by the raspy vocal and compelling lyrical attack of MacGowan. "Bottle Of Smoke" is a breakneck thrill ride about a celebratory victory at the horse races, while "Streets Of Sorrow/Birmingham Six" finds Shane in a rare moment of political rant.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 25 ratings.
Based on 25 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Burl Ives The Best of Little Bitty Tear (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE