It's Always Fair Weather [2004 Expanded Edition]
by Various Artists
Currently Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- Released: March 29, 2004
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Rhino Handmade
- 1.MGM Studio OrchestraMain Title
- 2.Jud Conlon, Dan Dailey, Gene KellyMarch March
- 3.MGM Studio OrchestraMedley: The Letter / Drinking Montage / The Binge
- 4.Jud Conlon, Dan Dailey, Gene KellyTime For Parting
- 5.MGM Studio OrchestraTen Year Montage
- 6.Dan Dailey, Gene Kelly, Michael KiddBlue Danube (I Shouldn't Have Come)
- 7.MGM Studio OrchestraAfter Blue Danube
- 8.MGM Studio OrchestraGene's Folly
- 9.MGM Studio OrchestraMusic Better Than Words
- 10.Clark Burroughs, MGM Studio Chorus, Ernie Newton, Thurl RavenscroftStillman's Gym
- 11.Clark Burroughs, MGM Studio Chorus, Ernie Newton, Carole RichardsBaby You Knock Me Out
- 12.Dan Dailey, Lee Gotch, Thurl Ravenscroft, Bob Stevens, Bob WackerSituation-Wise
- 13.MGM Studio OrchestraMike's Dream Place
- 14.Jud Conlon, Dan Dailey, Gene KellyTime For Parting / Once Upon A Time
- 15.MGM Studio OrchestraI Thought They'd Never Leave [Outtake]
- 16.Gene Kelly, Carole RichardsLove Is Nothing But A Racket [Outtake]
- 17.MGM Studio OrchestraTwenty-Five Cent Analysis
- 18.Dan DaileySituation-Wise
- 19.Gene KellyI Like Myself
- 20.Madeline's Commercial (Klenzrite)
- 21.MGM Studio OrchestraThanks A Lot, But No Thanks
- 22.Ruth Clark, Loulie Jean Norman, Betty Wand, Gloria WoodTime For Parting / TV Girls
- 23.MGM Studio OrchestraTime For Parting (Finale)
- 24.MGM Studio OrchestraEnd Cast [Outtake]
- 25.MGM Studio OrchestraBinge [Alternate Version]
- 26.Michael Kidd, André PrevinJack And The Space Giants [Demo Version]
- 27.Betty Comden, Adolph GreenOnce Upon A Time
- 28.Betty Comden, Adolph GreenLove Is Nothing But A Racket
- 29.Betty ComdenMusic Is Better Than Words [Alternate Version]
- 30.Betty Comden, Adolph GreenBlue Danube
- 31.Betty Comden, Adolph GreenI Thought They'd Never Leave
- 32.Betty ComdenThanks A Lot, But No Thanks
Lyricists: Michael Kidd; Adolph Green; Roger Edens; Betty Comden.
Adapter: Andr‚ Previn .
Personnel: Clark Burroughs, Dan Dailey, Ernie Newton, Michael Kidd, Gene Kelly , Gloria Wood, Bob Stevens, Bob Wacker, Lee Gotch, Adolph Green, Jud Conlon, Loulie Jean Norman, Ruth Clark, Thurl Ravenscroft, Betty Comden, Betty Wand (vocals); Andr‚ Previn (piano).
Liner Note Author: George Feltenstein.
Recording information: Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, Culver City, CA (09/17/1954-07/07/1955).
Photographer: George Feltenstein.
Arrangers: Conrad Salinger; Andr‚ Previn ; Alexander Courage.
Even the most cursory examination of this edition of 1955's It's Always Fair Weather soundtrack will thrill enthusiasts, as the contents have been improved upon by leaps and bounds over every previous incarnation. For starters, Andr‚ Previn's complete score -- enhanced by the words and music of Betty Comden and Adolph Green -- is presented for the first time. Plus, the entire affair has been mixed to stereo from the three-track master tapes, resulting in nothing short of a breathtaking presentation. The film -- nominated for Oscars in both the Best Score and Best Screenplay categories -- is an entertaining conduit for some high-energy antics, balancing what is an arguably contrived plot. The story, which undeniably seems like a revision of On the Town (1949), focuses on pals Gene Kelly (Ted Riley), Dan Dailey (Doug Hallerton), and Michael Kidd (Angie Valentine). Upon arriving home from a stint in the Army, a bet is made that the trio will not remain as tightly knit after readjusting to life in the United States. The movie then chronicles each, as Kelly becomes a less than successful boxing manager, Dailey has traded his fatigues for a business suit, and Kidd is the proprietor of a typical greasy spoon luncheonette. Their story catches national attention when a TV station decides to broadcast a "feel-good" reunion between the trio. Enter the hard-nosed television hostess Dolores Gray (Madeline Bradville), who is bound and determined to get them back together. Although two are willing to participate, getting Kelly is a sizable challenge. Showstoppers include the infectiously fun three-way dance number "Once Upon a Time," Kelly's unforgettable roller-skating sequence during "I Like Myself" -- in which keen-eyed viewers may spot sets recycled from his Singin' in the Rain (1952) appearance -- and Cyd Charisse (Jackie Leighton) on "Baby, You Knock Me Out." Among the never-before-available goodies are a handful of Previn's rare piano demos, alternate versions of "The Binge" and "Music is Better Than Words," the outtakes "I Thought They'd Never Leave" and "Love Is Nothing But a Racket," and a superior liner notes essay from cinematic authority George Feltenstein, who packs in plenty of details regarding the production. ~ Lindsay Planer
And That Reminds Me / A Date With Della Reese (CD)(6)
$2.98 on SALE
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD)(3)
99¢ on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 7 ratings.
Based on 7 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!