Paul Petersen Hits & Rarities, 1961-1968
|You Save:||$0.81 (5% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- by Annette Funicello ~ First Name Initial: All Her Chart Hits and More (2-CD) ~ $16.67
- by Shelley Fabares ~ Johnny Angel ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- by Paul Petersen ~ My Dad / Lollipops And Roses ~ $10.98 (Save 27%)
- by Shelley Fabares ~ Shelley! / The Things We Did Last Summer ~ $10.98 (Save 27%)
- Released: August 15, 2011
- Label: Teensville
Record Collector (magazine) - p.1003 stars out of 5 -- "[With] the Brian Wilson-penned-and produced 'She Rides With Me,' featuring The Honeys on backing vocals and big-production pop-soul..."
- 1.She Can't Find Her Keys
- 2.Keep Your Love Locked (Deep In Your Heart)
- 3.Lollipops & Roses
- 4.My Dad
- 5.Amy - (mono)
- 6.Girls In the Summertime - (mono)
- 7.Cheerleader, The - (mono)
- 8.Poorest Boy In Town - (mono)
- 9.She Rides With Me - (mono)
- 10.Where is She? - (mono)
- 11.Hey There Beautiful - (mono)
- 12.Little Dreamer - (mono)
- 13.Happy - (mono)
- 14.Ring, The - (mono)
- 15.You Don't Need Money - (mono)
- 16.Little Boy Sad - (mono)
- 17.Be Everything To Anyone You Love - (mono)
- 18.Mama Your Little Boy Fell - (mono)
- 19.I Wanna Be Free [TV] - (previously unreleased, mono)
- 20.Rosie [From Bye Bye Birdie] - (mono)
- 21.One Girl [From Bye Bye Birdie]
- 22.Kids (Folks) [From Bye Bye Birdie] - (mono)
- 23.Very Unlikely
- 24.What Did They Do Before Rock 'N' Roll?
- 25.Don't Let That Happen To Us
- 26.Chained - (mono)
- 27.Little Bit For Sandy, A - (mono)
- 28.Your Love's Got Me Burning Alive - (mono)
- 29.Two Little Boys - (previously unreleased, mono)
- 30.Quarantine - (previously unreleased, mono)
- 31.Quarantine [TV Insert] - (previously unreleased, mono)
Liner Note Author: Brian Gari.
Recording information: Detroit, MI (09/08/1961-06/27/1968); LA (09/08/1961-06/27/1968); Los Angeles, CA (09/08/1961-06/27/1968); RCA Studio A, Los Angeles, CA (09/08/1961-06/27/1968); United (09/08/1961-06/27/1968); Western (09/08/1961-06/27/1968).
The March 3, 1962, issue of Billboard marked the Hot 100 debuts of two teenage actors from the same TV series, The Donna Reed Show, 18-year-old Shelley Fabares with "Johnny Angel" and 16-year-old Paul Petersen with "She Can't Find Her Keys," both on Colpix Records. Petersen's novelty tune only made the Top 20, while "Johnny Angel" topped the charts, but he managed five more chart entries, including the Top Ten "My Dad," before the hits stopped coming in 1964. This comprehensive collection includes the successful discs and some interesting obscurities in a musical career that was always something of a side project for Petersen. His main gig, of course, was the TV show, in which he appeared from 1958 to 1966, but since he could carry a tune it was a natural for him to try a pop singing career in the tradition of Rick Nelson. Most of the music was forgettable, of course, although he did get a chance to essay a Gerry Goffin/Carole King composition, "Keep Your Love Locked (Deep in Your Heart)," and Brian Wilson gave him a suitably surf-oriented production on "She Rides with Me." By 1965, with "You Don't Need Money," he was introducing a vocal growl that made his singing a bit more distinctive, but that was his last Colpix single. Among the rarities are two singles he cut for Motown Records in 1967-1968 that find him fronting the Funk Brothers session band on some decent material, particularly "Don't Let It Happen to Us," and a trio of songs from the Broadway musical Bye Bye Birdie, including a rewrite of "Kids" called "Folks" on which he's joined by Fabares. Petersen survived his teen idol phase to become a novelist, but along the way he made some representative light pop music of the period, the highlights of which are heard here. ~ William Ruhlmann
Bye Bye Birdie / Teenage Triangle (Featuring Shelley... (CD)(7)
$10.98 on SALE
Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD)(14)
99¢ on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N... (CD)(5)
$4.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD)(8)
$2.98 on SALE