My Man Godfrey
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
- Art Director Charles Hall
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 33 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: July 30, 2002
- Originally Released: 1936
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||William Powell & Carole Lombard|
|Performer:||Mischa Auer, Eugene Pallette, Alice Brady, Jean Dixon, Pat Flaherty & Jean Rogers|
|Directed by||Gregory La Cava|
|Edited by||Ted J. Kent|
|Screenplay by||Morrie Ryskind & Eric Hatch|
|Composition by||Charles Previn|
|Art Direction by||Charles D. Hall|
|Produced by||Gregory La Cava|
|Director of Photography:||Ted Tetzlaff|
|Executive Production by||Charles R. Rogers|
"...[A] screwball classic....The first film to win Oscar nominations in all four acting categories..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
This madcap satire is a landmark comedy, with witty dialogue, suspenseful comic twists, and a refreshingly irreverent style. William Powell is the erudite butler Godfrey who is paired with Carole Lombard as Irene Bullock. The wealthy and beautiful heiress discovers him sleeping in the city dump during a society scavenger hunt, and decides he would make the perfect butler. Unbeknownst to her, this new "butler" Godfrey is even wealthier than she, and has a few lessons to teach her eccentric family. Irene's formidable father Alexander, already overwhelmed by the colorful crew of family members in his midst, is mortified by the prospect of having another oddball in his home. While Godfrey sets out to teach the Bullock family that money isn't everything, Irene decides that Godfrey would not only make the ideal butler, but the ideal husband as well. This Depression-era comedy offers full-force escapism, an energetic cast, and sophisticated social commentary - it's a romantic romp with a taut script and impeccable comic timing.
- MY MAN GODFREY was added to the Library of Congress National Film Registry in 1999.
- Academy Award Nominations: 7, including Best Director, Best Actor--William Powell, Best Actress--Carole Lombard, Best Screenplay.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 24 ratings.
Bubbly, delightful, delicious. Five star rating is not high enough to describe "My Man Godfrey." If you are feeling down and need a movie to bring you up, this is the one to see.
A comedy in the truest sense of the word. Gene Pallette is delightful as Mr. Bullock, the husband/father/ringmaster of his home, trying to maintain a patina of sanity in a household gone bonkers. William Powell, in the title role, is the film's anchor; and his understated performance adds much weight and credibility to the film. Carole Lombard is incredible as the spoiled rich girl who learns a life's worth of lessons from her personal reclaimation project. The entire cast brings this film to life. (Mischa Auer is a riot!) A MY MAN GODFREY will keep you laughing (and thinking) with every viewing.
I am only twenty-four years old but I love classic movies. I own over fifty classic movies and I am still searching for more. I am absolutely in love with My Man Godfrey. I actually have three DVD’s of this movie because I tend to watch it so much. I would highly recommend it to anyone that loves classical movies as well.
This is one of those fast paced movies that you will thorougly enjoy! And - you will watch over and over again.
One of my very favorites! Thank you!
- Sales Rank: 3,133
- UPC: 089218303998
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) (DVD-R) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) (DVD-R) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
Alpha Video Labels:
- Ace of Clubs (1925) / Another Man's Boots (1922) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces and Eights (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces Wild / Wild Mustang (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Art Acord Double Feature: Fighters of the Saddle (Silent) / Pursued (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the Plains (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
© 2017 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.