- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 59 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: February 28, 2012
- Originally Released: 1994
- Label: Criterion
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Documentary featuring interviews with André Gregory, that play's director; actors Lynn Cohen, George Gaynes, Julianne Moore, Larry Pine, Wallace Shawn, and Brooke Smith and producer Fred Berner
- Plus: a booklet featuring an eassay by critic Steven Vineberg and a 1994 on-set report by film critic Amy Taubin
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.66
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Rolling Stone - 11/03/1994
"...This live wire VANYA, freshly observed for the '90s, is fiercely funny, touching and vital..."
New York Times - 10/19/1994
"....Visual elegance that seems to isolate and purify its characters and their troubles....[Moore gives a] sly, delicately shaded performance..."
Entertainment Weekly - 12/02/1994
"...You may feel that you're seeing Chekhov's masterpiece -- really SEEING it -- for the first time..." -- Rating: A
Los Angeles Times - 11/10/1994
"...To watch this VANYA is to marvel, as always with Chekhov, at his insights, at how rigorously and effortlessly non-judgmental he is, at how much empathy he has for all his characters..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 12/23/1994
"...[Malle] is the master of a visual style suited to tightly-encompassed material. There is not a shot that calls attention to itself, and yet not a shot that is without thought..."
USA Today - 04/12/2005
"Malle's last film was a brilliantly filmed reading of Chekhov's 'Uncle Vanya'..."
Wall Street Journal - 08/07/2009
"[T]he process on screen is an actors' workshop, but literalness can't describe the hypnotic ease with which the actors assume, then shed, then reinhabit their roles."
David Mamet wrote the screenplay for this staging of Andre Gregory's play, "Vanya," itself based on Chekhov's masterpiece, "Uncle Vanya." A group of actors enter a theatre on New York's 42nd Street and run through a full-length rehearsal of "Vanya" --no costumes, no sets and no 19th-century pretensions.
Louis Malle's camera observes noted stage director Andre Gregory as he runs rehearsals of Anton Chekhov's "Uncle Vanya" in the New Amsterdam Theatre.
Stage Play |
- This version of "Uncle Vanya" was translated by David Mamet.
- Rated BBFC U by the British Board of Film Classification.
- Co-produced by Laura Pels Productions.