- Number of Discs: 3
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 3 hours, 43 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: June 9, 2009
- Originally Released: 1970
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Creedence Clearwater Revival,
Stills & Nash Crosby,
Arlo Guthrie &
Jere Huggins &
Canned Heat &
Richard Pearce &
Sight and Sound - 09/01/1994
"...It is memorable, and it is moving..."
USA Today - 08/12/1994
"...Michael Wadleigh's Oscar-winning documentary remains the most enduring movie of a very great movie year..."
Rolling Stone - 07/09/2009
5 stars out of 5 -- "Mirroring the festival's communal sprawl, Michael Wadleigh's 224-minute director's cut flows like a monumental rock symphony."
Uncut - 07/06/2009
4 stars out of 5 -- "There is much euphoria and jubilation on offer -- and sundry musical delights..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
An intimate look at the Woodstock Music & Art Festival held in Bethel, NY, in 1969, from preparation through cleanup, with historic access to insiders, blistering concert footage, and portraits of the concertgoers. Negative and positive aspects are shown, from drug use by performers to naked fans sliding in the mud, from the collapse of the fences by the unexpected hordes to the surreal arrival of National Guard helicopters with food and medical assistance for the impromptu city of 500,000.
1969 was a year unlike any other. Man first set foot on the moon. The New York Mets won the World Series against all odds. And for three days in the rural town of Bethel, New York, half a million people experienced the single most defining moment of their generation - a concert unprecedented in scope and influence, a coming together of people from all walks of life with a single common goal: Peace and music. They called it WOODSTOCK. One year later, a landmark Oscar-winning documentary captured the essence of the music, the electricity of the performances, and the experience of those who lived it. Newly remastered, the film features legendary performances by 17 best-selling artists.
Remastered 4-hour Director's Cut and over 3 hours of extras (includes newly discovered performances), and collectibles:
- LUCITE display with images from the festival
- 60-page commemorative Life Magazine reprint
- Iron-on Woodstock patch
- Festival memorabilia including reproductions of handwritten notes and a three-day ticket
- Numbered, limited-edition sets for enhanced collectibility
- Director's Cut, Part 1
- The Museum at Bethel Woods: The Story of the Sixties & Woodstock
- Director's Cut, Part 2
- Woodstock: Untold Stories - 18 performances as never before seen (see list below)
- Woodstock: From Festival to Feature - Interviews of the sights and sounds of the 3-day event, from concert goers, promoters, crew and musicians
WOODSTOCK Ultimate Collector's Edition
- List of 18 Bonus Performances:
- Joan Baez: "One Day at a Time"
- Country Joe McDonald: "Flying High"
- Santana: "Evil Ways"
- Canned Heat: "I'm Her Man" and "On the Road Again"
- Mountain: "Beside the Sea" and "Southbound Train"
- Grateful Dead: "Turn On Your Love Light"
- Creedence Clearwater Revival: "Born on the Bayou," "I've Put a Spell on You" and "Keep on Chooglin'"
- The Who: "We're Not Going To Take It" and "My Generation"
- Jefferson Airplane: "3/5 of a Mile in 10 Seconds"
- Joe Cocker: "Something's Coming On"
- Johnny Winter: "Mean Town Blues"
- Paul Butterfield: "Morning Sunrise"
- Sha Na Na: "Teen Angel"
- Arlo Guthrie
- Canned Heat
- Country Joe & the Fish
- Country Joe McDonald
- Creedence Clearwater Revival
- Crosby Stills & Nash
- Grateful Dead
- Janis Joplin
- Jefferson Airplane
- Jimi Hendrix
- Joan Baez
- Joe Cocker
- John Sebastian
- Johnny Winter
- Paul Butterfield Blues Band
- Richie Havens
- Sly & The Family Stone
- Ten Years After
- The Who
Michael Wadleigh's WOODSTOCK: THREE DAYS OF PEACE & MUSIC finds the best rock stars of the 1960s performing at the historic Woodstock Music and Art Fair, the most celebrated rock concert of all time. Shot over the course of three days in August 1969, the film conveys the unique spirit of the once-in-a-lifetime, communal event, and in turn, captures the mood of an entire era. Amazingly volatile, electrifying performances are included by such timeless artists as Richie Havens; Joan Baez; The Who; Sha Na Na; Joe Cocker; Country Joe and The Fish; Arlo Guthrie; Crosby, Stills and Nash; Ten Years After; Santana; Sly and the Family Stone; Jimi Hendrix; Canned Heat; John Sebastian; Jefferson Airplane; and Janis Joplin. In addition to the music, the film's historical relevance is what makes it such an important time capsule, thrillingly eternalizing the legendary event for generations to come.
This digitally remastered, widescreen director's cut of the Academy Award-winning documentary features 40 minutes of footage not included in the original film, and was released in celebration of the 25th anniversary of the legendary music festival.
Rock And Roll |
- Original theatrical release: March 26, 1970
- WOODSTOCK was added to the Library of Congress National Film Registry in 1996.
- Shot in upstate New York in August 1969, in Technicolor. The Woodstock Music and Art Fair was produced by Michael Lang (Executive Producer), John Roberts, Joel Rosenman and Arthur Kornfeld. Produced by Wadleigh-Maurice, Ltd.
- It is estimated that the cost of the festival was about $3.3 million, with $1.7 million collected from ticket sales (the promoters declared the event free after it became apparent that they were not equipped to deal with the mass of people who showed up). Although the original partners lost about $250,000 of their own money and owed the rest to a bank, they managed to recoup their losses a decade later through the royalties from this film and the soundtrack.
- Tickets to the original event were priced at $18. The 25th anniversary celebration of Woodstock, Woodstock '94, held August 12-14, 1994, was budgeted to cost $30 million, with tickets going for $135.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 291 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 28,561
- UPC: 883929039289
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 3 items