Miles Davis Live in Europe 1967, Volume 1
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$8.29 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.70 (25% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Miles Davis ~ Bitches Brew Live ~ $7.19
- by Miles Davis ~ Live in Europe 1969: The Bootleg Series, Volume 2 (4-CD) ~ $42.51
- by Miles Davis ~ Miles At The Fillmore, 1970: The Bootleg Series Volume 3 (4-CD) ~ $42.51
- by Miles Davis ~ Miles In Tokyo ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- Released: September 19, 2011
- Label: Sony Legacy
- 1.Agitation [Live October 28, 1967 Konigin Elizabethzaal, Antwerp, Belgium]
- 2.On Green Dolphin Street [Live October 28, 1967 Konigin Elizabethzaal, Antwerp, Belgium]
- 3.'Round Midnight [Live November 2, 1967 Tivoli Konsertsal, Copenhagen, Denmark]
- 4.No Blues [Live November 2, 1967 Tivoli Konsertsal, Copenhagen, Denmark]
- 5.Masqualero [Live November 6, 1967 Salle Pleyel, Paris, France]
- 6.Gingerbread Boy [Live October 28, 1967 Konigin Elizabethzaal, Antwerp, Belgium]
- 7.The Theme [Live November 6, 1967 Salle Pleyel, Paris, France]
- 8.Gingerbread Boy
- 9.The Theme [Short Version]
- 10.The Theme [Long Version]
Personnel: Wayne Shorter (tenor saxophone); Miles Davis (trumpet); Herbie Hancock (piano); Tony Williams (drums).
Liner Note Author: Ashley Kahn.
Recording information: Konigin Elizabethzaal, Antwerp, Belgium (10/28/1967); Paris Jazz Festival, Salle Pleyel, Paris, France (10/28/1967); Tivolis Koncertsal, Copenhagen, Denmark (10/28/1967); Konigin Elizabethzaal, Antwerp, Belgium (11/02/1967); Paris Jazz Festival, Salle Pleyel, Paris, France (11/02/1967); Tivolis Koncertsal, Copenhagen, Denmark (11/02/1967); Konigin Elizabethzaal, Antwerp, Belgium (11/06/1967); Paris Jazz Festival, Salle Pleyel, Paris, France (11/06/1967); Tivolis Koncertsal, Copenhagen, Denmark (11/06/1967).
Photographer: Jan Persson.
For those unwilling by necessity or desire to purchase the four-disc box set of the The Bootleg Series, Vol. 1, the single-disc Best of Bootleg, Vol. 1: Live in Europe 1967 comp will either satisfy on its own, or whet one's appetite for the entire package. The box was compiled from three 1967 concert performances by Davis' second great quintet -- Davis, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Ron Carter, and Tony Williams -- in Antwerp, Copenhagen, and Paris on three CDs; the beautifully shot back-and-white DVD in the set contains two more shows from Germany and Sweden. The Antwerp and Paris gigs have been bootlegged previously (the latter was missing two tracks which were restored on the box). The Copenhagen concert was previously unheard. Since the set lists for each concert were remarkably similar -- though the performances were markedly different -- this single disc culls selections from the three cities on the CDs and assembles them as a single, deeply satisfying set by the quintet. The material includes three Davis tunes, "Agitation" (the official opener each night), "No Blues," and the gig ending "The Theme," Shorter's "Footprints" and "Masqualero, and three standards, "'Round Midnight," "Gingerbread Boy," and "On Green Dolphin Street." Inexplicably, the compilers chose two very different versions of "The Theme," instead of including Hancock's "Riot." That complaint aside, this disc offers a stellar portrait of the fiery, innovative jazz this quintet were playing near the end of their four-year tenure (they split in 1968, having been Davis' longest running band). The sheer intensity in "Masqualero" and "Agitation" showcases individual solos so intuitive, dynamic, and harmonically rich, they are worth the purchase price alone. The interpretations of the standards are actual re-visionings of them; they reveal just how far this band pushed the post-hard bop, post-modal envelopes, toward the vanguard territory broached by John Coltrane. Davis' own playing -- sans mute -- is sharp and muscular; in partial response to the younger players' energy, but also because the material dictated an aggressive interplay. Given its price tag and length -- nearly 80 minutes -- the single volume Best of Bootleg, Vol. 1 is worthy because it offers an actual portrait, rather than a sampling, of a band at the very peak of its creative power. ~ Thom Jurek
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 32 ratings.
Based on 32 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE