Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 33 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: September 6, 2011
- Originally Released: 1987
- Label: Image Entertainment
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"We're going to tear your soul apart!"
- Pinhead (DOUG BRADLEY).
"Demon to some. Angel to others."
- ad tagline for the film
Variety - 05/20/1987
"...[The film] has several twists for the devotees of gore to delight in...[It] is well made, well acted, and the visual effects are generally handled with skill..."
Los Angeles Times - 09/18/1987
"...One of the more original and memorable horror movies of the year: a genuinely scary, but also nearly stomach-turning experience by a genre specialist....HELLRAISER is intelligent and brutally imaginative..."
Sight and Sound - 12/01/2004
"Barker' original remains distinctive for its disturbing seriousness..."
Clive Barker's feature directing debut graphically depicts the tale of a man and wife who move into an old house and discover a hideous creature--the man's half-brother, who is also the woman's former lover--hiding upstairs. Having lost his earthly body to a trio of S&M demons called the Cenobites, he is brought back into existence by a drop of blood on the floor. He soon forces his former mistress to bring him human sacrifices to complete his body... but the Cenobites won't be happy about this. One of the best horror films of the 1980s, HELLRAISER is based on Barker's novel THE HELLBOUND HEART and was followed by three sequels.
Always seeking greater pleasures and greater thrills, an explorer uncovers a key to another dimension of unlimited pleasure. The dimension is hell and after he is satiated the demons known as Cenobites rip the flesh from his bones. After his death, he haunts his lover, his brother's wife. She re-animates the adventurer through numerous murders. The key opens creating a hell on earth that consumes the family.
Demonic Possession |
Essential Cinema |
Theatrical Release |
- Novelist Clive Barker made his directorial debut with "Hellraiser."
- The Starmaker Entertainment Collector's Edition (Cat. #99102) features 10:22 minutes worth of supplementary material. Included are a TV commercial and interviews with Clive Barker, Andrew Robinson, Clare Higgins, and Ashley Laurence. The film itself runs 94 minutes.
- The Lumivision Laserdisc Widescreen Edition (Cat. #9524) includes the original theatrical trailer.
- The Lumivision Deluxe Collector's Edition laserdisc (Cat. #LVD- 9546) includes the following special features:
* Audio commentary by Clive Barker accompanying the film.
* A reproduction of the original shooting script, plus an
early draft of Barker's screenplay that includes scenes
* Scenes from Clive Barker's original storyboards and
other storyboard designs.
* Artwork and promotional material.
* Extensive still-frame archive of behind-the-scenes
photos, promotional photos, and special effects and
* Creature effects.
* Original domestic and international theatrical trailers
and TV spot trailers.
* Annotated biography of Clive Barker.
* Featurette including interviews with Clive Barker,
Andrew Robinson, Clare Higgins and Ashley Laurence.