Popular Songs of Christmas & New Year's
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|You Save:||$1.10 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Mark Knopfler / Emmylou Harris ~ All The Roadrunning ~ $10.78
- by John Fahey ~ Christmas Guitar, Volume 1 [Rounder] ~ $9.88
- by John Fahey ~ The New Possibility: Guitar Soli Xmas Album / Christmas With Fahey, Volume 2 ~ $9.88
- by John Fahey ~ Old Fashioned Love ~ $10.56
- by John Fahey ~ The Transfiguration of Blind Joe Death ~ $13.43
- Released: October 17, 1990
- Originally Released: 1990
- Label: Varrick / Umgd
- 1.Jolly Old Saint Nicholas
- 2.Santa Claus Is Coming to Town
- 3.The Skater's Waltz
- 4.The Christmas Song
- 5.Medley: Christmas Time's a Coming / Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer: Christmas Time's A Comin' / Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer
- 6.Medley: The Holly and the Ivy / The Cherry Tree Carol: Holly And The Ivy / The Cherry Tree Carol
- 7.Apple Blosom Time
- 8.White Christmas
- 9.Medley: Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!/Winter Wonderland: Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! / Winter Wonderland
- 11.Christmas Time Is Here
- 12.Do You Hear What I Hear?
- 13.I'll Be Home for Christmas
- 14.The Waltz You Saved for Me
- 15.Medley: Deck the Halls / We Wish You a Merry Christmas: Deck The Halls With Boughs Of Holly / We Wish You A Merry Christmas
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: John Fahey, Terry Robb (guitar).
Recorded at High Tech Recorders, Portland, Oregon.
Personnel: John Fahey (guitar); Terry Robb (guitar).
Recording information: High Tech Recorders, Portland, OR (1983).
Photographer: Jean Hangarter.
Arranger: John Fahey.
The famously abrasive and eccentric John Fahey -- a brilliant guitarist and composer who once recorded under the name Blind Joe Death -- is not the first person one would expect to make a sweet and apparently unironic album of Christmas instrumentals. Being the bloody-minded coot that he was, he made several, all of them wonderful. Popular Songs of Christmas & New Year's is the second of them, this one recorded with the help of fellow guitarist Terry Robb. Almost all the tunes are familiar Christmas favorites, but few are commonly associated with the solo steel-string guitar: his gorgeous arrangement of the "Skater's Waltz" would come as a surprise if his approach to it weren't so natural as to make it sound inevitable; similarly, his elegantly simple setting of "Do You Hear What I Hear?" and his slowly loping, Merle Travis-on-Quaaludes arrangement of "White Christmas" bring new insight to overly familiar material. Only on a strangely enervated take on "Jolly Old Saint Nicholas" does he sound like he's having anything other than a lot of fun. His guitar is maybe a bit too closely miked and his tone a bit astringent, but this is a delightful record in almost every respect. ~ Rick Anderson
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Thanks For The Memories - A Special Holiday Ed. (CD)
$1.98 on SALE
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE