Gene Autry The Complete Columbia Christmas Recordings
Only 8 copies left
|You Save:||$1.40 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
by Burl Ives ~ The Best of 20th Century Masters / Christmas Collection $4.77
by Gene Autry ~ Cowboy Hymns and Songs of Inspiration ~ $10.78
by Gene Autry ~ His Christmas Album ~ $0.99
- Released: September 21, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Varese Sarabande
- 1.Here Comes Santa Claus (Right Down Santa Claus Lane) - (1947 Version)
- 2.Old Fashioned Tree, An
- 3.Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer
- 4.If It Doesn't Snow On Christmas
- 5.He's A Chubby Little Fellow
- 6.Santa Santa Santa
- 7.Frosty The Snowman
- 8.When Santa Claus Gets Your Letter
- 9.(Hardrock, CoCo & Joe) The Three Little Dwarfs
- 10.Thirty-Two feet, Eight Little Tails
- 11.Poppy The Puppy
- 12.He'll Be Coming Down The Chimney (Like He Always Did Before)
- 13.Night Before Christmas Song, The - (with Rosemary Clooney)
- 14.Look Out The Window (The Winter Song)
- 15.Merry Texas Christmas You All!
- 16.Night Before Christmas, The (In Texas That Is)
- 17.Where Did My Snowman Go?
- 18.Freddie, The Little Fir Tree
- 19.Here Comes Santa Claus (Right Down Santa Claus Lane) - (1953 Version)
- 20.Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
- 21.Up On The House Top (Ho Ho Ho)
- 22.I Wish MY Mom Would Marry Santa Claus
- 23.Sleigh Bells
- 24.Round, Round The Christmas Tree
- 25.Merry Christmas Waltz
- 26.Everyone's A Child At Christmas
- 27.You Can See Your Santa Claus (When You Find Him In Your Heart)
Personnel: Gene Autry (vocals, guitar); Cass County Boys, Pinafores.
Liner Note Author: Holly George-Warren.
Recording information: Hollywood, CA (08/28/1947-10/17/1956).
Director: Carl Cotner.
Gene Autry recorded an awful lot of Christmas songs, and at least three of them have become beloved and enduring holiday standards. Autry never shied away from novelty pieces, and with his charming, unaffected vocal style and a strong sense of what might be termed "cowboy pop swing," he had both the image and the marketing savvy (he was the first to use record sleeves with pictures on them) to make these marginal and seasonal songs appear essential. And essential they remain, at least at Christmas time. Autry's self-penned "Here Comes Santa Claus (Right Down Santa Claus Lane)" was released in 1947 and became a giant hit, and the joyful lilt in its vocal makes it still play well on radio today. Autry's next holiday hit was even bigger. Inspired by a character in a poem written by ad copywriter Robert L. May, Johnny Marks' "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" became Autry's biggest single ever when it was released in 1949, and following Irving Berlin's "White Christmas," is the best selling Christmas song in history. Autry completed this remarkable holiday trilogy with "Frosty the Snow Man," written by Jack Rollins and Steve Nelson, in 1950. This collection is the best available of Autry's unique Christmas song catalog, with 27 tracks (his complete Columbia output) presented in wonderful sound. Autry's singing career lasted from the 1930s through the mid-'50s, but the trio of Christmas classics listed above means that his voice is still heard regularly on the commercial airways in the 21st century. That alone is an achievement. ~ Steve Leggett
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 41 ratings.
Based on 41 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Tennessee Plowboy and His Guitar (5-CD Box Set)
$94.15 Super Savings
Thanks For The Memories - A Special Holiday Ed. (CD)
99¢ on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 1 (2-CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Danny & The Juniors Greatest Hits (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- The Impressions Singles Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- The Original Gospel Harmonettes Camp Meeting / Soul of The Gospel Harmonettes (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE