Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 36 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 23, 2011
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Miramax Lionsgate
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Filmmakers' Audio Commentary
- Audio Commentary with Jon Favreau and Vince Vaughn
- "Making It In Hollywood"
- Original Documentary Art Imitates Life: Writing the Story - Life Creates Art: Getting Swingers Made - Life Imitates Art: Swingers Culture - Art Creates Life: Life After Swingers
- The Cutting Room Floor
- "Swingblade" Short Film
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- DTS HD Master Audio - English
- Subtitles - English, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
- phrase bandied about among the friends
Rolling Stone - 10/31/1996
"...Writing, directing and acting are all pitch-perfect in a party movie that keeps spinning funny, sexy and touching surprises..."
Entertainment Weekly - 11/01/1996
"...Terrific....[Liman scores] from Favreau's exuberantly witty script....[Vaughn is] a scene-stealer..." -- Rating: A
Variety - 09/09/1996
"...Sweet and funny....SWINGERS is a winningly confident snapshot of the nightlives of a bunch of young showbiz wannabes....Engaging, refreshingly human in its humor and becomingly modest in its aspirations..."
Los Angeles Times - 10/18/1996
"...A guy film that gives you something to latch onto....Ruefully funny and unpretentious, with an air of relaxed and confident hipness, SWINGERS is helped along by a clever script and the not surprising fondness it feels for its characters..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 10/25/1996
"...The movie is sweet, funny, observant and goofy..."
Uncut - 07/01/2005
"Favreau's script crackles with sharply amusing, endlessly quotable dialogue..."
Sight and Sound - 07/01/2005
"Liman's very quotable debut offsets its outer hipness with a compassion for its characters' vulnerabilities."
Total Film - 08/01/2012
4 stars out of 5 -- "SWINGERS survives as one of the '90s' most entertaining comedies, a wryly honest dissection of male bravado and that rarity, a decent romcom for blokes."
Hauling his sentimental friend out of his postbreakup funk, a club-hopping swinger takes him on a hilarious odyssey through the dating game of the 1990s, hitting the Vegas strip, fashionable martini lounges, and other modern hunting grounds of the opposite sex.
SWINGERS follows insecure Mike and smooth-talking Trent, two retro-hip showbiz wanna-bes, as they make the scene at various clubs in Hollywood and Vegas. During their martini-fueled odyssey, the duo and their buddies explore an altogether new vernacular while struggling with images of machismo, self-esteem, relationships, and, of course, sex. Lead actor Jon Favreau based the script on his and his friends' real-life Tinseltown adventures.
- Theatrical release: October 18, 1996.
- Jon Favreau appeared on an episode of THE SOPRANOS playing himself; Christopher talks to him about the making of SWINGERS and hands the actor-writer a script.
- Marty & Elayne appear as themselves at the Dresden, a gig they have had for many, many years.
- Produced by Independent Pictures.
- Color by DeLuxe.
- Shown at the Telluride Film Festival September 1, 1996.
- Shown at the 1996 Venice Film Festival.
- Additional cast: Deena Martin, Katherine Kendall, Brooke Langton and Blake Lindsley.
- Additional credits: Julianne Kelley (music supervisor), Brad Halvorson (production designer), Genevieve Tyrrell (costume designer), Bradford L. Schlei & Avram Ludwig (associate producers) and Nicole Shay LaLoggia (line producer).