Meat Puppets Monsters
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$12.54 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.45 (16% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: December 6, 2011
- Originally Released: 1989
- Label: MVD Audio
Entertainment Weekly - 3/26/99, p.87"...Part ZZ Top on peyote, part Grateful Dead on steroids, the guitar-driven trio's eccentric genius emerges on [this] souped-up rerelease..." - Rating: A-
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
The remastered edition of MONSTERS is an Enhanced CD containing both a full audio program as well as multimedia computer files, including the 1989 video for "Light." Contains three bonus tracks.
Meat Puppets: Curt Kirkwood (vocals, guitar); Cris Kirkwood (bass); Derrick Bostrom (drums).
Includes liner notes by Derrick Bostrom and Mark Kemp.
Personnel: Curt Kirkwood (vocals, guitar, percussion); Cris Kirkwood (vocals, percussion); Derrick Bostrom (drums).
Liner Note Authors: Derrick Bostrom; Brett Milano; Mark Kemp.
Recording information: Pantheon Studio (1987-1988); The Record Studio, Orange, CA (1987-1988); Pantheon Studio (1988); The Record Studio, Orange, CA (1988); Pantheon Studio (1989); The Record Studio, Orange, CA (1989).
Photographers: Ian Harper ; Joseph Cultice; Reanie Kane; Linda Eateley; Linda Early; Janet McCracken; Christopher Gardener.
The Meat Puppets' final release for SST, 1989's Monsters is best described as a cross between their experimental Mirage and the more in-your-face Huevos (both released only a few months apart in 1987). Several major labels had been hotly pursuing the trio, but when negotiations slowed to a snail's pace, they decided to issue another album on SST in the meantime. Curt Kirkwood's crunchy guitar riffs are spotlighted throughout the album, but some of the songs are hindered by synth textures and the fact that the songs were recorded one instrument at a time, which mutes any excitement of the trio playing live in a room together (which was what made Huevos such a success). Still, several highlights were included -- the vicious album-opening "Attacked By Monsters," the melodic "Light," the tough rocker "The Void," the rollicking instrumental "Flight of the Fire Weasel," the warped love song "Strings on Your Heart," and the sleepy album closer, "Almost Like Being Alive." Three bonus tracks were added to the 1999 Rykodisc reissue: the previously unheard original "Wish Upon a Storm" and two radically different versions of "Flight of the Fire Weasel." ~ Greg Prato
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- King Curtis Enjoy Records - The Best of King Curtis (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- The Isley Brothers Shout! (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE