Live At The Warfield, San Francisco, CA May 18/19 2006 (2-CD/1-DVD)
Rare & Hard-To-Find Audio CDs (series)
Only 10 copies left
|You Save:||$17 (74% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Jerry Garcia ~ Fall 1989: The Long Island Sound (6-CD) ~ $34.88
- by Jerry Garcia ~ Garcialive, Volume 2: August 5th 1990 Greek Theater (2-CD) ~ $14.22
- by Jerry Garcia ~ GarciaLive, Volume 3: Dec 14-15 1974 NW Tour (3-CD) ~ $20.68
- Number of Discs: 3
- Released: October 31, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Image Entertainment
Tracks on Disc 1:
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Phil Lesh: Phil Lesh (vocals, bass guitar); Larry Campbell, Joan Osborne, John Scofield (guitar); Greg Osby (saxophone); Rob Barraco (keyboards); John Molo (drums).
Phil Lesh & Friends' Live at the Warfield (recorded May 18 and 19, 2006) follows a carload of live recordings issued on the Instant Live label a month previously. On these dates, the band consisted of Lesh on bass and vocals, the divine Ms. Joan Osborne on vocals, guitarists Larry Campbell and John Scofield, saxophonist Greg Osby, drummer John Molo, and Rob Barraco on keyboards and vocals. The program is Grateful Dead material (what else?) and the performance is stellar. (One interesting and necessary side note: the brief elegy Lesh offers for Ramrod, the then recently deceased equipment manager for the Dead, is deeply moving and beautiful.) Osborne is the perfect vocalist for this troupe; she is soulful and adds a degree of funkiness to the proceedings -- especially on the more R&B and jazz-oriented material like "Shakedown Street" and "Turn on Your Love Light." (If only she'd find a producer who could bring out this voice on a studio recording. Perhaps this should be her backing band next time out!) Mostly, the backing vocals add nothing, and could have been left out of the arrangements altogether (the two exceptions are "Cosmic Charlie" and "I Know You Rider"). Other than this small complaint -- it is live, after all -- this band is rehearsed, tight, and focused. Scofield and Campbell work well together, complementing each other's fills and grooves seamlessly. On the jam material like the "Dark Star" and "The Other One" medley, "The Wheel," and "Scarlet Begonias," the rhythm section is unshakable inside the grand improvisation that takes place. Fans of the Dead will no doubt embrace this, especially since the package is available in a couple of different ways -- the shows are included in a special DVD package, but this one contains two discs of music and a bonus DVD that features a conversation with Lesh, Scofield, and Osby; a jazz instrumental jam with Osby, Lesh, Scofield, and Molo; and two other cuts, full-band performances of Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower" and Lesh's "Passenger." ~ Thom Jurek
1. Conversation With Phil Lesh, John Scofield And Greg Osby.
2. Jazz Jam
3. Backstage Rehearsal
4. All Along The Watchtower
Phil Lesh And Friends - Live At The Warfield Theater ... (DVD)(15)
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 36,801
- UPC: 014381361827
- Shipping Weight: 0.34/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 3 items
Time It Was: The Simon & Garfunkel Songbook (Live) (CD)
$14.30 Super Savings
Rare & Hard-To-Find Audio CDs Product Series:
- 3-2 Get Funky The Return of the Funky Ones (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE
- A Voyage to the Rain Forest (1998) A Voyage to the Rain Forest (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Barbara Acklin 20 Greatest Hits (CD) ~ $14.98 on SALE
- Barbara Acklin Love Makes a Woman (CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- The Adicts Rise And Shine (CD) ~ $11.95 on SALE