- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 46 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: October 7, 2003
- Originally Released: 1993
- Label: New Line Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"Your eyes are driving the train, and your brain is the caboose, and it hasn't caught up yet'"
- John Hollstrom (Aidan Quinn) to Emma Brody (Madeleine Stowe)
New York Times - 01/26/1994
"...Watchful intelligence....[Throughout, Stowe] can be as sharp and unpredictable as BLINK needs her to be..."
USA Today - 01/26/1994
"...Stowe is excellent..."
Entertainment Weekly - 02/11/1994
"...Genuinely scary moments....[Stowe] plays Emma as a smart, sexy scrapper..."
Blind since she was child, Emma Brody (Madeleine Stowe) experiences a miracle--a dead woman's eyes have been donated to her, allowing Emma to see again. But before she's had the opportunity to grow accustomed to her blurry vision, she witnesses a brutal murder. Working with a handsome detective (Aidan Quinn), she tries to help the police locate the murderer before the murderer locates her. Director Michael Apted (COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER and GORILLAS IN THE MIST) has always been concerned about creating stronger, more complicated female characters in mainstream films, and with BLINK he has succeeded. In more than 200 films with blind characters, blind men have danced, taken photographs, and performed rescues, while blind women have usually been terrified, hapless victims; Emma, as played by Stowe, breaks with that tradition. In her first major role after LAST OF THE MOHICANS, Stowe bristles as an independent woman who has long taken care of herself and doesn't want to be protected by the police.
When a blind musician recovers her sight, she witnesses a murder and, while battling lapses in sight and visual hallucinations, tries to help locate the killer before he locates her.
Physically Impaired |
Theatrical Release |
- Theatrical release: January 26, 1994.
- Shot on location in Chicago.
- Estimated budget: $11 million.
- BLINK grossed nearly $17 million at the domestic box office.
- Emma Brody was originally supposed to be a poet. She was changed to a classical violinist, then a rock violinist.
- The film features the music of the alternative Irish American band the Drovers.
- "All of us dreaded the idea of the poor girl in peril. I thought she [Madeleine Stowe] might embrace the character's more fragile aspects. But Madeleine really came at it with strong single-mindedness that this woman is not a victim. She's created a woman who is much closer to her own personality than anything she's played before."--Michael Apted to the St. Louis Dispatch.