- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 21 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 7, 2002
- Originally Released: 1971
- Label: Sony Pictures
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 2.35
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- Dolby Digital Mono - English
- Interactive Features:
- Scene Selection
- Interactive Menus
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Entertainment Weekly - 05/10/2002
"...The horror's very heavy..."
William Shakespeare's immortal play about a Scottish warrior (Jon Finch) whose wife's lust for power transforms him into inhuman monster is given it's rawest, most brutal screen treatment in this version by Roman Polanski (ROSEMARY'S BABY, CHINATOWN). Filmed in suitably bleak locales and imbued with nudity not usually seen in the works of Shakespeare--along with realistically gory murders--this MACBETH is singular and sensational, but is not for the young or faint of heart.
One of the most famous tragedies in all literature. Macbeth, a 13th century Scottish warrior, lusts after power -- especially after three witches prophecy that he will one day become King of Scotland. But the impatient Macbeth and his wife do not wish to wait for the title to come to them. So they take matters into their own hands, launch a bloody plot, and hasten his ascent to the throne...
Essential Cinema |
Stage Play |
Theatrical Release |
- Color by Technicolor; Shot in Todd-AO 35 on location in North Wales.
- This was the first film made by director Roman Polanski after the tragic murder of his wife Sharon Tate by Charles Manson's gang. Although "Macbeth" is in general quite violent, this version is particularly bloody and angry. It originally received an "X" rating, which was later reduced to an "R".
- Additional cast: Diane Fletcher (Lady Macduff), Bruce Purchase (Caithness), Frank Wylie (Mentieth), Keith Chegwin (Fleance), Sydney Bromley, Noelle Rimmington, Maisie MacFarquhar, Elsie Taylor.
- Additional credits: David W. Orton (production adviser), Kenneth Tynan (artistic advise), Sally Gilpin (choreographer), Ted Samuels (special effects), Richard Vetter (process consultant).
- Copyright 1971 Playboy Productions Inc. and Columbia Pictures.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 128 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 89,203
- UPC: 043396077805
- Shipping Weight: 0.16/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item